PVC Schedule 40 - GVS 65

May 27, 2009
I went to get piping for my solar install, and asked for PVC schedule 40, the guy at the store said here's what you need. I didn't really look at it or read the labeling. I get home and start installing and read the labelling and realised that it is GVS65 gas vent pipe. Will I have problems with this?

I'd take it back. GVS is a temperature-rated pipe, certified for venting gas appliances. I believe it requires special solvent. To my knowledge, there is no pressure rating for this pipe.

You really do want schedule 40, pressure-rated pipe.

I can't say that you WILL have problems with it, but I can say that it ain't designed or approved for your application.

I almost bought that stuff as well as my local homedepot and lowes don't carry 2" Sched 40. I ended up just paying a bit more and going through a pool store as comparing the 2 the vent pipe just seems to be thinner then regular schedule 40 as well as stated above it doesn't have a pressure rating and does need special solvent cement.

turnerj42 said:
I almost bought that stuff as well as my local homedepot and lowes don't carry 2" Sched 40. I ended up just paying a bit more and going through a pool store as comparing the 2 the vent pipe just seems to be thinner then regular schedule 40 as well as stated above it doesn't have a pressure rating and does need special solvent cement.

That's the interesting thing , i'm remembering now the guy working at the store handed the cement to me and said "this is actually better because the gas guys use this and they take leaks very seriously and you don't want leaks" I should have put 2 and 2 together. I should note that three of my neighbours use abs on their solar systems and the abs definitely doesn't have pressure ratings. So i'm torn on what to do, cause I have half of my piping done.

When dealing with water under pressure, stick to sched 40.

ABS is for sewer and no pressure, so the fittings are not designed for pressure. As well the gvs is not either.

Save yourself the possible issues. Find a supplier who carries what you need.

On your thinking that your neighbours use abs on there systems. I thought the same thing with mine because the pipes were black but they were actually just painted sched 40 pipe. Just something to note if you are going by visual alone from the ground. If you aren’t then please ignore :)

"this is actually better because the gas guys use this and they take leaks very seriously and you don't want leaks"
It is rated for gas VENTING applications. Hardly a high pressure application, and the reason that it is specially used for this is because it is formulated to withstand temperature. Not pressure.

Do yourself a favor and get yourself pipe which is specially designed to be used with water at pressure. Schedule 40 is designed just for that.

turnerj42 said:
On your thinking that your neighbours use abs on there systems. I thought the same thing with mine because the pipes were black but they were actually just painted sched 40 pipe. Just something to note if you are going by visual alone from the ground. If you aren’t then please ignore :)
Yes actually verified as ABS

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.