Spa plaster crack turns out to be delamination/bubble

Promises of smoked meats, cash, and liquor may be your best play here . . . :)

Oh that goes without saying. Any contract will have the standard "smoked meat & adult beverages" clause. I once fed a plumbing contractor and his two workers a BBQ'd flank steak meal for going the extra mile and staying late to troubleshoot a leaky gas line. They really enjoyed the steak and beers.

Hold the phone on the acid wash unless this is something you want to tackle yourself. Don't waste your money paying someone and here's why:

This is 10 year old Pebble Tec and its pretty easy to see how much color was lost when compared to the areas that I chipped out

So I did an experiment for your benefit. Here is a section of the wall that I acid washed. You can see some change in the color but not enough to warrant draining and acid washing the entire pool. For the quote above where it was mentioned that a Pebble pool can get freshened up from the wash , I think that pertains much more to pools that are poorly maintained and they have heavy stains and scaling. Obviously an acid wash would be an improvement. In your situation I just don't see it being worth it.

That was undiluted trade strength acid that was left on for 5 minutes. I did a section where I left the acid for 30 minutes and that definitely brought some color back but that was because tons of pebble fell out and exposed plaster that has never seen the light of day.

Here is a chip of the original color compared to the existing section that was acid washed

And so you don't think I'm crazy, this pool had a beach entry that was terribly steep, so much so that several people had fallen while entering the pool. These steps were built and plastered with a rough texture to blend with the pebble surface. The whole pool will be shot in Mediterranean Blue AquaBright and the slide will get a coat of Sahara Sand.

If you really want AquaBright I might be willing to make the trip...the only problem is I absolutely hate driving so I will need Danny to be my chauffeur.

As long as we make a pit stop in Texas and turn my pool into perle noir magic I'm driving! My black pebblesheen plaster has turned gray on most of the horizontal surfaces. 5 swim seasons. Actually it didn't stay black that long, only 3 or 4 years. Most of the vertical surfaces are still mostly black.

Yes, the pool only gets full sun for a little over an hour per day during summer. I haven't really looked at the south facing walls to see if they are lighter than the north facing walls. But, I think they might be.

That would certainly point to the pigment fading more from UV light than chlorine levels. I know you maintain higher than average FC most of the time and if the fading was the result of chlorine I would suspect the discoloration to be much more uniform.

The pool pictured above uses a pool service so who really knows what it's been through in its lifetime.

UV + chlorine ---> OH● (hydroxyl radicals)

Hydroxyl radicals are very potent oxidizer that can pretty much destroy any organic compound...including dyes and pigments. The rate of formation of hydroxyl radicals is fairly low but it does occur so it would not surprise me that a surface with a high incidence angle of sunlight would get more fading than a vertical wall.

Brian,

Thanks for the experiment!! I appreciate your advice and I was intending on waiting through the winter to see how the patch "fades" with a little time. I'm not super-annoyed with it at all, it is what it is. I always knew the P-Tek would never be perfect. But I am glad you posted those pictures as it confirms for me what I always thought to be true about acid washing - not a lot of upside but plenty of downside if it's done wrong.

Danny,

We start in Texas with pearl-noir, smoke ourselves some brisket and drink lots of Shiner Bock. Then we head to Tucson for a quick shot of Mediterranean-Blue in my pool and lots of spicy chili verde and plenty Barrio Blonde ale. Then we'll head to Cali and drop off a very tired and hungover (but well-fed) Brian on his doorstep....we'll leave him there with nothing on but his Nomex chonies and pair of high-heels....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After seeing some of your meals on the grilling post, I am racking my brain trying to figure out what I could help you with!

Well, I have about 300 ft of c-block retaining wall that desperately needs to be built around my casita....perhaps you can help me if I make you Chilean Sea Bass with roasted squash & quinoa :deal: -

56322718-7BF6-4423-848D-E1598878F4F9_zpsrvglfcgl.jpg

6E09CE45-81D4-4165-A47E-E43F0F614C01_zps9koie7zm.jpg

Is that a bone-in pork shoulder and full brisket (point and flat)?

That's a whole-lotta meat there....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice beer fridge. I just loaded mine up with two 24 bottle packs of New Belgium Fat Tire, Citradelic, 1554 Black Ale and Accumulation White IPA (there's some Shiner Bock in there too) -

166a4522814e4c6aa1f00c80dbcae51a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.