Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spa plaster crack turns out to be delamination/bubble

1. Back To Top    #41

Re: Spa plaster crack turns out to be delamination/bubble

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Ding ding 16lb whole brisket and a 12 lb butt

Attachment 56018

Attachment 56019
    That's a man's 'fridge. Meat and beer. Vegetable drawers empty . . .

2. Back To Top    #42

LOL! Is that what those are? Beer doesn't fit in them.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #43

TFP Guide

That's where the cheese is supposed to go!!
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #44

Mmmm, I do like cheese!
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #45

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    That's where the cheese is supposed to go!!
    Or the bacon!!!!!!

6. Back To Top    #46

Limes for the Corona?

7. Back To Top    #47

Quote Originally Posted by Leebo View Post
    Or the bacon!!!!!!
    And THAT'S why Lee is the site Admin!!

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

8. Back To Top    #48

Right, genius!
    TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #49

To the point on acid washing. Mine was approx 10 years old SWG system. I did experience a few alge blooms over the years (thanks to my kids maintaining the pool when I was transferred out of state for work as well as accumulating excessive CYA from tabs added by them). When washed, the acid took quite a bit of brown dirt (or scale) off and the finish returned to the original grey. Didnt remove much pebble as was foamed on and washed off almost immediatly.

As said, if your pebble is fairly new or hasn't been through a few alge blooms, you may not see the same results. Probably worth testing a small place first to see.
    18,000 gunite pool/spa combo. Pebble tec, iaqualink rs8, cl580 filter, aquapure 1400, 400k btu lx heater, 10 solar panels, jandy 1hp, 1 1/2hp, and 2hp stealth pumps for circ, spa, waterfall

10. Back To Top    #50

How does one make room for meat in a beer fridge? And yes, beer goes in those drawers nicely.

Mac.Dblues and ProfessorDaisy's Lower Arkansas Pool Install
    Intex UltraFrame 20ft x 52in deep, 9,400 Gallons / Approx 78,500 lbs, Intex 1600 GPH, 14" sand filter, Hayward Dyna-Skim SP1091LX, Taylor K-2006, SpeedStir, Sample Sizer
    First Fill May 2014, Deck finished June 2014, Mods happening probably on a continuous basis. Stay tuned.....

11. Back To Top    #51

Quote Originally Posted by mac.dblues View Post
    How does one make room for meat in a beer fridge? And yes, beer goes in those drawers nicely.
    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Wow, you are man of diverse tastes...

Meat goes into the chest freezer (next to the fridge), beer in the fridge. Take meat out the night before to let it defrost on the countertop...there's still some room in there so make an emergency beer-run to the local store!
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

12. Back To Top    #52

Nice fridge! Meat just hangs out in the fridge for a short time until it goes here ...

CAM00232.jpg
    TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #53

In the Industry

I am sorry to have missed this great thread until this AM. It took me about 15 minutes to catch up.

Y'all have a much better sense of humor than I did when I was building my pool.....probably because I could only be angry at myself for all the mistakes and re-do's.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

14. Back To Top    #54

Originally, I really did not think what I was seeing was worth posting about as plaster cracks/bubbles/repairs/etc are fairly common in any gunite pool that most folks can expect to do some form of plaster repair over the life of their pool surface. Nothing I posted is at all unique. However, where I think the thread turned interesting was when bdavis466 (Brian) posted the pictures of the pools he's worked on and confirmed that my plaster coloration/fading was in line with what he has seen in his work. I think the picture I posted showing how faded the "Caribbean Blue" colored plaster, as well as the differences in the patch color and the original plaster color, is very dramatic.

Which leads me to my conclusion and personal opinion that I think people should prioritize plaster upgrades to the bottom of their lists when building a pool. We see in so many construction threads how people agonize over plaster color and plaster upgrade option (pebble vs mini-pebbles, glass beads, Abalone shells, etc, etc) and I really don't believe it is worth it! New pool owners will spend extra thousands of dollars on plaster upgrades which I think would be better spent on material upgrades (stone coping versus poured, upgraded tile, etc) or equipment upgrades. Plaster surfaces are going to fade over time no matter what you do, so why waste the money on all the extras? As well, color choice is really important and, at the very least, people should be fully aware that whatever color they choose, it's not going to last more than a few seasons. Better to stick with standard colors and minimal "optional" upgrades in my opinion and then put that money to better use elsewhere.
    Matt

15. Back To Top    #55

In the Industry

Here is what remained after the acid wash on the pebble surface:

http://vid494.photobucket.com/albums..._114755596.mp4
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

16. Back To Top    #56

Quote Originally Posted by bdavis466 View Post
    Here is what remained after the acid wash on the pebble surface:
    Did the color improve at all?

Matt

17. Back To Top    #57

In the Industry

Big difference!

In all seriousness there was no noticeable change in color but lots and lots of lost pebbles.
    -Brian-
    POOL BUILD

18. Back To Top    #58

Oh. Is that another AquaBright finish? Which color?

Matt

19. Back To Top    #59

In the Industry

Mediterranean blue in the pool and sandstone on the slide.

I really like the color. Probably similar to yours before the pigment ran away?
    -Brian-
    POOL BUILD

20. Back To Top    #60

Spa plaster crack turns out to be delamination/bubble

Quote Originally Posted by bdavis466 View Post
    Mediterranean blue in the pool and sandstone on the slide.

I really like the color. Probably similar to yours before the pigment ran away?
    Nice combo!

Yes, the Medi Blue looks very similar to the Caribbean Blue PTek. I think I'd want to go a bit darker though....and get a stencil done with my favorite album cover art -

Matt

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast