DPD powder. How many tests?

I'm into my second year already and the container is almost half full. Depends on how often you test. DPD powder does go bad. Light, heat, and moisture are it's enemies. I keep my reserve of DPD powder in a container that I vacuum seal in a small bag (who ever thought that a Foodsaver would be good for pool chemicals?) and only have one open at a time.

Rangeball said:
52 tests per year from 5g worth of DPD powder?

I'm looking for "10g of DPD powder will do X tests at two scoops per test".

Spill the beans, man... :)

Easy way for you to find out. Measure out the 2 scoops of DPD powder and weigh it on triple beam balance. Dived the 10 grams by the amount you weighed and you should have an idea of how many tests. The trick is you have to measure the scoop out exactly the same way each time. (Or just weight the correct amount you need each time on the triple beam.) Also realize that if you are testing very high chlorine levels you might need more than 2 scoops of DPD powder to overcome the bleaching effects of very high chlorine on the Wurster dye that forms when it combines with the chlorine (this is the red color you see.)

Based on my own and Poseiden's results I would say you get in the neighborhoold of 100 tests out of 10 grams but it really does depend on how accurately you measure with the scoop, how much you spill, and how high the chlorine level is that you are testing. It's almost like asking how many tests can you get from the titrant in the test. There is really no way to tell since that will depend on how many dropsy you use in each test and that will depend on your chlorine level which most likely will be different each time you test.

I only see one flaw in your logic. It assumes I have the powder to measure :)

I'm trying to figure out how much to order. Since it's cheap, I thought I'd get 2 10g bottles if needed. Doesn't sound like it's needed.

Thanks a bunch :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Waterbear, you mentioned needing more DPD powder with high chlorine. My dad's pool is in double digits due to very high CYA.

Do you simply keep adding scoops until you get a red or pink color? How do you know when to stop, when a certain color intensitiy is reached?

Range,

I'm not going to be much more help but I typically go through (2) 10g bottles in a season and I test at least every other day, usually daily. I prefer the DPD as the OTO test are pretty much guessing to me. What I do is buy them two at a time, then pour as much of one into the other until it is full, then refill my "working" container as needed. This keeps the DPD fresh.

Dave

Rangeball said:
Waterbear, you mentioned needing more DPD powder with high chlorine. My dad's pool is in double digits due to very high CYA.

Do you simply keep adding scoops until you get a red or pink color? How do you know when to stop, when a certain color intensitiy is reached?

IF the normal amount of DPD bleaches out then add it a scoopful at a time until a stable color is reached. This will not normally be needed unless chlorine levels are VERY high, perhaps over 20-25 ppm.

Rangeball said:
I only see one flaw in your logic. It assumes I have the powder to measure :)

I'm trying to figure out how much to order. Since it's cheap, I thought I'd get 2 10g bottles if needed. Doesn't sound like it's needed.

Thanks a bunch :)

Hi Rangeball,

Myself...I would treat it like I do spices for cooking. Order enough to get me through six months or a little more. Then place another order of fresh spices once the old bottle is low.

but that's me ;)
dan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.