Sand filter leaking from flange clamp

thecrave

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 13, 2007
I have a Hayward S220T sand filter.

I replaced my sand today and now I have two small streams of water coming out from the flange clamp, near where the two bolts are, that I can't seem to stop.

I've cleaned the O-ring that's on the multi-valve, as well as the top of the filter. I'm confident it is a clean fit (no sand or debris).

No matter what I do, it continues to leak. It's a steady stream, and about as wide as 3 toothpicks.

Think I need a new O-ring?

Has this happened to anyone else before? Filter is about 5 years old.

I used the rubber mallet trick last night. Thanks for the suggestion Wolfmarsh!

It helped, but did not stop the leak. Instead of a steady stream, it's now more of a drip, but from the same spot.

I think the O-rings are like $10, so I'll just grab another one on the way home today.

Is there a special type of lubricant designed for this sort of thing that I should be using?

Do you really "crank down" on the flange when tightening it? How tight should it be?

With a well lubricated o-ring it doesn't need to be torqued like mad. With MPV clamps like yours I usually don't have to go more much more than hand tight. As long as the clamp is on snug enough to stop the valve from blowing off it's probably going to seal. Use a pool-use silicone or teflon lubricant (preferably the silicone stuff, like Magic Lube II). They'll have it at the store where you pick up the o-ring.

spishex said:
With a well lubricated o-ring it doesn't need to be torqued like mad. With MPV clamps like yours I usually don't have to go more much more than hand tight. As long as the clamp is on snug enough to stop the valve from blowing off it's probably going to seal. Use a pool-use silicone or teflon lubricant (preferably the silicone stuff, like Magic Lube II). They'll have it at the store where you pick up the o-ring.

That's good info. I was tightening like mad to get the seal.

I'll update ya after I get the new O-ring and sealant.

Thanks!!!

OK, at first the new seal and Magic Lube didn't seem to make a difference. So I moved the collar to a 90-degree position, and it seems to have stopped the leak.

I'm running the filter 24x7 now, but it will be interesting to watch how this holds up once it starts cycling once a day.

Thanks for the help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.