Maximum FC level

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to all,

I use the Hayward QC Shark robot to clean the pool. For all type of robots of this nature, what is the safest maximum level of FC while allowing robot to clean the pool? Obviously, CL is fairly corrosive to metal parts, so I was just wandering what are the max levels of FC that it should operate?

Thank you,
tstex

I think you'll find the stock answer to be, "it depends on your CYA level." The pool industry is always going to quote 1-4ppm as the "all the chlorine you'll ever need!", and so all of their answers will be based on that (4ppm MAX).

The long answer is that CYA, even at modest levels, greatly reduces the concentration of active chlorine (hypochlorous acid and hypochlorite anion) in the water. It is the active chlorine that will degrade plastics and cause chemical wear and tear. But, at the levels advocated here on TFP (FC/CYA ratio of ~ 7.5%), the hypochlorous acid levels are so low that it will not appreciably affect the lifetime of parts in your robotic cleaner given that it is only in the water for a few hours each week. That being said, the chlorine present in your water as either active chlorine or reserve chlorine is always available to react with with the materials the cleaner is made of. So, in that sense, you do not want to leave the cleaner in the water all the time. I have left my suction cleaner in the pool 24/7 and i can honestly say its probably degraded faster than it would otherwise if i took it out more frequently.

It's also one reason why having a manual vacuum is a good thing - you can manually vacuum during a SLAM, or other chemically imbalanced events, and not have to worry too much about elevated chlorine killing your super-expensive robot cleaner....

Thanks Matt - that's a perfect answer...I use the TFP method and only use pucks periodically to increase my CYA levels when they get below 40ppm. That's when I can travel for a few extra days and no worries...

I run my shark sometimes for two 4 hr sessions...this really hits all sides more than once and requires it periodically.

Thanks again and enjoy your nice cooler time of the year- my brother lives in Chandler and I visit every spring while the nights still get real cool - tstex

Well, when I purchased my house the CYA was 250+ and I maintained FC in the 22ish range. I purchased my Dolphin M5 and it's been running fine.....

Maybe dolphins can take higher CL levels than sharks :D

How long did you run the dolphin in 22 FC range? Probably not too long while you worked on lowering your CYA....Check the bearings on the dolphin soon...

Honestly, the best thing to do for any cleaner (robotic or otherwise) that comes in and out of the pool is to simply hose it off for a minute or two after you take it out. Washing it down with a little fresh water will be more than enough to rinse off any excess salt or chlorine. It seems to me that the wear and tear from scraping against the plaster surface does a lot more "damage" than any chemical in the water.

Maybe it is the cycling and exposure to oxygen. My Dolphin has bee underwater for 2 years and I don't see any issues. It is as good as new with the exception to some scrapes from when I'm used to have aggressive calcium deposits.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.