Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pH test kits that remove Cl?

1. Back To Top    #1

pH test kits that remove Cl?

In dealing with my ongoing trials in testing pH and Cl with 'color vials' provided in TF kit, I came across something I don't understand. I have a test kit similar to the TF for testing pH and Cl that came with our pool. It all looks the same, however in the 'pool' kit, before you add the reagent to change the color to indicate the pH level, you first add another reagent that says it's designed to 'remove' Cl first before testing. Yet the TF kit skips that step. Is the removal or not of the Cl important in testing pH?
    22,500 gal A.G., vinyl, sta rite cristal sand filter & pump (1.5 h.p.), BBB method

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: pH test kits that remove Cl?

The OTO test kit in the TF-100 doesn't change color. You simply add five drops and read the resulting color. It is a comparison test.

What test kit do you have?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Removing chlorine is important for doing the PH test. The Taylor PH reagent, included in the TF100, already includes an much more effective chlorine removal chemical than the ones that come in the kits where you need to add it separately.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, that makes sense, Jasonlion..that the Cl remover is already included in the TF kit whereas it comes separate in the kit that comes standard with the pool when we bought it (pool). And yes, I understand what you mean, duraleigh, about the comparison...but I guess in my feeble mind..it does in a sense 'change' color...it goes from clear to some other color...whether it be orangish or red... I know, not very scientific! Thanks to you both!
    22,500 gal A.G., vinyl, sta rite cristal sand filter & pump (1.5 h.p.), BBB method