Solar Choices

fmrock

Mar 24, 2009
Hey everyone...

I live in south Florida, and want to add solar to my pool. I have got 3 estimates for solar and they are all basicly the same price. Each company uses a different product.

1. Fafco panels... Most expensive
2. Heliocol Solar Panels and Solar Industries Panels about the same price.

The salesman for the Solar Industries was the best, but the estimate with the Helicoil system had more surface area covered for the same price.

Installed for 3K.

Does anyone have any experience with these products. The salesman makes their product sound the best, and the others like garbage. Any help pointing me one way would be great.

I have the Fafco Sunsavers, 5 of the 4x12s. Do not know the others, but the Sunsavers have a 2" header. They can also have the inlet and return on the same side, up to 7 or 12 panels. I forget which number.

I'm very happy with these panels.

The actual panels, while different from each other in various ways, are more or less the same. The big differences are in quality of install, and that varies by installer, not brand. Get references from each of the companies and follow them up to see who did a better job with the installation.

The company using the heliocol panels have 10 4x10.5 panels 420 sqft and the solar industries has 3 4x10 and 4 4x12 312sqft.

the solar industries is a solid panel where the heliocol .. all the tubes are separate.

I am wondering if I can get the heliocol company to remove 2 panels and save some $.

Also, I have heard good things about both companies...

Thanks for all your help.

My uncle has Heliocol and they are at least 15 years old. They have worked great, and he has never had a problem with them. He had to take them down a few years ago in order to replace the roof, but they went back up without a problem. Still heating his pool just fine!

Thanks for the input about both brands.. Still trying to decide what to go with though... decisions decisions.. we are kind of leaning towards the heliocol..because we get more for the $$.

Would you recommend covering the pool surface area at 1 to 1 ratio?

One company is putting 100% on the roof, while others are putting 80%. The panels will be on south facing roofs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As far as coverage, I guess it depends how much sun you get. My uncle that has Helicol usually has to to shut them off for most of July and August. They face due south, he has a 16 by 32 oval inground pool and 6 - 4x12 panels. It is about a 50% ratio. I would say start at 50, and go up if you are not facing south.

Both roofs the panels would be on are south facing.... and right now with no type of heating the pool is about 88-89 degrees.

My wife and I are big wimps and wont even get in unless its over 85, so we are looking to really prolong the swimming season.

The difference between 8 and 10 panels is 400-500% with the heliocol system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.