Taylor K2006 FC Testing

Nov 21, 2016
Melbourne, FL
OK, so I have a Taylor K2006 test kit. I've never done DPD testing, always just OTO testing off a cheapie kit that I bought from a Big Box store.

Sooo,
My OTO test says 2ppm FC.
My Pool Store (I know) says 5ppm FC
My test is 9ppm FC.

I am figuring that the pool store just quit dropping at 5ppm to save on reagents. Here is how I tested it.
1) I filled the comparator to 10mL
2) Added 1 dipper of the DPD powder (turned pink immediately)
3) Added 18 drops of the first reagent swirling after each drop until it turned clear.

Any thoughts?

Your FC is 9ppm. However, you should consider buying a SpeedStir, it makes testing faster, easier and slightly more accurate (not a huge amount but hand swirling can be a drop or two different from using the SpeedStir).

OTO is useless as a diagnostic test. It is merely a "presence of chlorine" test. In my years of using both OTO and DPD-FAS testing, I could never get the yellow OTO to ever be close to the DPD test. Even the DPD-only pink color comparison test (K-1001 test kit) is more reliable than the OTO test.

No one here bothers putting any credence in pool store testing.

Yeah, it seems like the pool store is just trying to have me overshoot the chemistry. Right now, I have the following numbers

FC 9
pH 7.4
TA 80
CH 280
CYA 30

The pool is clear as can be, I am keeping my CYA on the low end of the range because I am chlorinating using my residual hockey pucks until I can put salt in my pool finish 60 days post Pebble-Tec installation.

Your FC is 9ppm. However, you should consider buying a SpeedStir, it makes testing faster, easier and slightly more accurate (not a huge amount but hand swirling can be a drop or two different from using the SpeedStir).

OTO is useless as a diagnostic test. It is merely a "presence of chlorine" test. In my years of using both OTO and DPD-FAS testing, I could never get the yellow OTO to ever be close to the DPD test. Even the DPD-only pink color comparison test (K-1001 test kit) is more reliable than the OTO test.

No one here bothers putting any credence in pool store testing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.