Keep a copper pipe main drain or not

repairman

Gold Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Lompoc, CA (central coast)
Hi,
I'm doing a replumb job on my 60's era, 35 x 15, rectangular, gunite/plaster pool. I'm keeping the concrete box skimmer with equalizer and those short lengths of copper pipe inside the skimmer, but don't know whether to plug the copper drain line that goes straight down from the skimmer and plaster over the bottom drain, or not. I am going to paint the pool w epoxy paint.
My original plan was to make the pool drainless and install 7 returns for good circulation to skimmer, but I'm thinking of keeping my main drain.
I was advised by In the Industry to get rid of the copper if I can because it causes stains on the plaster ( and metal ions in the pool), so that length of copper to the drain wouldn't be good in that respect. But, for this time around anyway, I'm painting the pool so I don't whether it would be an issue as long as it's painted. I guess I should assume it's going to be plaster at some point.
I know it's the law that new drains have to be 2 drains but I am not breaking into the bottom of the pool to do that. The vacuum system would be the drain, equalizer, and skimmer if I keep the drain. I plan to run a variable pump on low 24/7.
What do you think? Should I keep the drain or plaster it?
Thanks,
Repairman

You can certainly get away without having a main drain especially if you have extra returns. There isn't much that a main drain can do that other things can't compensate for. My pool has a main drain but I divert nearly all the flow away from the MD to skimmers for better cleaning so I really don't use mine much and if I built a pool again, I would probably leave it out.

BTW, copper can stain more than a pool surface.

463_1_f79b91.jpg

Get rid of copper if you can, if you are adding returns you may look at adding a dedicated vacuum line. Depending on your situation you may also look at adding a second skimmer, in either case the main drain being eliminated would be fine.

Sent from my SGP561 using Tapatalk

Thank you Mark and In the Industry, Yikes! I don't want to have green hair like that Smurf! You have helped me decide to eliminate the main drain. That still leaves maybe a total of 3 ft copper pipe in the skimmer/equalizer that I will be keeping. Will that put a significant amount of copper in the pool?
Also I have 2 copper return pipes, about 1 1/2 ft long each, going through the wall. I could use them or get them out and replace with PVC. Should I use them or replace them? If replace, what's the recommended way to get them out? a 2" core drill around it, or drill and chip out around it?
And thanks again, I really appreciate the help,
Repairman

- - - Updated - - -

I just got told it's not a Smurf.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.