Total Dissolved Solids

Strom

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 18, 2009
Greenwood, Indiana
I'm converting from the pool store / BioGuard 1,2,3 program to the BBB program. I purchased the Taylor K-2006 test kit frequently recommended by Chem Geek. My current numbers are:
FC 3.8
CC .2
PH 7.3
TA 190
CH 350
CYA 80

Two questions...
First, I don't like my TA, CH & CYA numbers. Using the pool calculator, the CH & CYA numbers indicate to me I should be replacing water. I've been successful getting my TA lower via muratic acid and aeration to bring PH back up. Before I continue that program to lower TA, should I really be considering water replacement first to fix the CH & CYA?

Second, the store would check total dissolved solids. How important is that? Is TDS reflected anywhere in the results using the Taylor test kit?

Strom
IG 16 x 32 vinyl liner with slide
Hayward sand filter, pump, heater

CYA and CH are both at the very high end of the range, but not unacceptable. Replacing some water is a good idea, but it isn't essential. If you do replace water, you should do it first, and then test to see where your levels ended up, before continuing to lower TA.

the method of pool care and acceptable test numbers advocated on this site is different than the majority of the pool industry standards. the numbers here are based on decades of experience from a guy named ben powell who started a forum like this a while ago, JasonLion, waterbear, chem geek and many more. based on their collective experience, knowledge and testing, the numbers here work best for almost all pools, with rare exceptions that can be handled on the forum. have you read pool school?

Strom said:
I'm converting from the pool store / BioGuard 1,2,3 program to the BBB program. I purchased the Taylor K-2006 test kit frequently recommended by Chem Geek. My current numbers are:
FC 3.8
CC .2
PH 7.3
TA 190
CH 350
CYA 80

Two questions...
First, I don't like my TA, CH & CYA numbers. Using the pool calculator, the CH & CYA numbers indicate to me I should be replacing water. I've been successful getting my TA lower via muratic acid and aeration to bring PH back up. Before I continue that program to lower TA, should I really be considering water replacement first to fix the CH & CYA?

Second, the store would check total dissolved solids. How important is that? Is TDS reflected anywhere in the results using the Taylor test kit?

Strom
IG 16 x 32 vinyl liner with slide
Hayward sand filter, pump, heater

Hi Strom,

I just wanted to chime in and say if you decide to keep your CYA for awhile, because you have a sand filter, it will gradually lower thru backwashing. How far south is Greenwood? If you winterize, by lowering your water level you'll also see it go down significantly when you add fresh water in the spring.

CH is high for vinyl but as long as you keep your PH below 7.8 it won't be an issue for you. No cal-hypo products. :wink:

If you keep the CYA 80 - just make sure you maintain the FC levels according to the CYA chart. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.