Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Total Dissolved Solids

1. Back To Top    #1

Total Dissolved Solids

I'm converting from the pool store / BioGuard 1,2,3 program to the BBB program. I purchased the Taylor K-2006 test kit frequently recommended by Chem Geek. My current numbers are:
    FC 3.8
    CC .2
    PH 7.3
    TA 190
    CH 350
    CYA 80

Two questions...
    First, I don't like my TA, CH & CYA numbers. Using the pool calculator, the CH & CYA numbers indicate to me I should be replacing water. I've been successful getting my TA lower via muratic acid and aeration to bring PH back up. Before I continue that program to lower TA, should I really be considering water replacement first to fix the CH & CYA?

Second, the store would check total dissolved solids. How important is that? Is TDS reflected anywhere in the results using the Taylor test kit?

Strom
    IG 16 x 32 vinyl liner with slide
    Hayward sand filter, pump, heater
    Strom

16 x 32 Inground Vinyl, Infinity 2000 Automatic Cover
    Hayward S210T 2.2 sq ft Sand Filter with 1 HP Speck Badu EcoM3V Pump, Hayward H200 Heater
    Polaris 380, Dolphin DX4 w/remote, CircuPool RJ-30 SWG, Taylor K-2006, SpeedStir, Borates

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Total Dissolved Solids

tds can be ignored. see post 2 here:
    need-help-cannot-clear-cloudy-green-water-t11447-40.html
    are those results from your own testing?
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, those are my results using the K-2006.
    Strom

Hayward S210T 2.2 sq ft Sand Filter with 1 HP Speck Badu EcoM3V Pump, Hayward H200 Heater
    Polaris 380, Dolphin DX4 w/remote, CircuPool RJ-30 SWG, Taylor K-2006, SpeedStir, Borates

4. Back To Top    #4

CYA and CH are both at the very high end of the range, but not unacceptable. Replacing some water is a good idea, but it isn't essential. If you do replace water, you should do it first, and then test to see where your levels ended up, before continuing to lower TA.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

A follow up question.

On the Taylor Technologies website, they have a pool calculator / analysis feature (http://www.poolspa.com/taylor/). Under the section "Enter Test Results", the acceptable ranges they show for the various categories are quite different from the ranges shown on TFP. I couldn't find any footnotes to explain it. Do you know why?
    Strom

6. Back To Top    #6

the method of pool care and acceptable test numbers advocated on this site is different than the majority of the pool industry standards. the numbers here are based on decades of experience from a guy named ben powell who started a forum like this a while ago, JasonLion, waterbear, chem geek and many more. based on their collective experience, knowledge and testing, the numbers here work best for almost all pools, with rare exceptions that can be handled on the forum. have you read pool school?
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

7. Back To Top    #7

Our recommended ranges are the same or very close to the recommenced ranges of the APSP (as taught in Certified Pool Operator Courses)
    http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ntentID=22
    Where they differ it is because of newer understanding of what is happening chemically in the pool. (Such as the CYA/Chlorine interaction).

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Strom
    I'm converting from the pool store / BioGuard 1,2,3 program to the BBB program. I purchased the Taylor K-2006 test kit frequently recommended by Chem Geek. My current numbers are:
    FC 3.8
    CC .2
    PH 7.3
    TA 190
    CH 350
    CYA 80

Two questions...
    First, I don't like my TA, CH & CYA numbers. Using the pool calculator, the CH & CYA numbers indicate to me I should be replacing water. I've been successful getting my TA lower via muratic acid and aeration to bring PH back up. Before I continue that program to lower TA, should I really be considering water replacement first to fix the CH & CYA?

Second, the store would check total dissolved solids. How important is that? Is TDS reflected anywhere in the results using the Taylor test kit?

Strom
    IG 16 x 32 vinyl liner with slide
    Hayward sand filter, pump, heater
    Hi Strom,

I just wanted to chime in and say if you decide to keep your CYA for awhile, because you have a sand filter, it will gradually lower thru backwashing. How far south is Greenwood? If you winterize, by lowering your water level you'll also see it go down significantly when you add fresh water in the spring.

CH is high for vinyl but as long as you keep your PH below 7.8 it won't be an issue for you. No cal-hypo products.

If you keep the CYA 80 - just make sure you maintain the FC levels according to the CYA chart.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com