chlorine & biofilms

Beez

LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2009
Dallas, TX
I thought of a question today while brushing my pool: If I keep my FC level at or above the min for my CYA concentration, is that enough to keep any biofilms from forming in my pool, or is regular brushing necessary to disrupt any biofilm from forming?

Thanks,
Dave

Biofilm is a colony of bacteria that is attached to a surface and has secreted chemical substances to the outer surface of the outer cells to make them more resistant to chemical attack. Usually such substances have a slimy feel.

Keeping the chlorine at a proper level will help prevent biofilm formation by killing bacteria before they are able to reproduce and secrete the substances that make them more resistant to chlorine. Nevertheless, brushing helps as well, especially for surfaces that are pocked so could result in very localized low-chlorine levels or in areas of the pool where circulation is poor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.