Borates and Acid added... When can we go swimming???

frankgh

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 20, 2007
Navarre FL
OK, The 17 boxes 20 Mule Team and 4.75 gallons of MA have been added. It is a blistering hot day and now the girls are asking if they can go swimming.

I know the sticky says to wait 48 hours to test for borates but I tested PH and it is off scale high. I did a Taylor acid demand test and it is saying to add a gallon of MA.

I am guessing it takes 48 hours of water turn over to get the MA and Borates to interact with each other before you can get an accurate test. That infers no swimming till the water tests OK?

If it has been a couple of hours with the pump on since the chemical additions and the PH is still very high then you should adjust to down to around 7.8. There are sometimes clumps of undissolved borax that can continue to raise the PH for a while, but muriatic acid "dissolves" instantly and mixes very quickly. So there is some chance of the PH going up further, but hardly any that the PH will come down.

Swimming should be fine as long as the PH is 7.2 or higher and it is more than an hour since the last chemical addition.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.