Do I need to lower the water level, and how?

Jun 2, 2009
Hello,

I have a new 27' above ground pool. I filled it to just about half way up the skimmer. We have had rain the past few days and the water is now nearing the top of the skimmer. Do I need to drain some water out? If so how? I have a cartridge filter so there is no backwashing like a sand filter. There is a drain plug in the filter but that will just dump water out right by the pool. Is my best option to use a sump pump or just wait for us to splash it out and have the sun evaporate it?

Thanks

What i do when it gets too high and need to get some out, I put in my Vacuum Brush (Or whatever you call it), The one that has hooks up to your Skimmer but instead take the end that goes to the skimmer and do a Nice big Suck or 2 or 3 on the hose and drop it to the ground... Lots of water will come barreling out.. Remember not not suck too much or you will be sucking in some water..

Probably best to drain it back down to where the water line is at the half mark on the skimmer like you had before. The reason is that the higher the water level is in relation to the skimmer opening, the less skimming action you will have.

Like sparkmaster mentioned, you can use a hose to siphon the water out by gravity. It's cheap and easy to do.

Depends on where you live. If I had that kind of water level right now I wouldn't touch it, because I expect it'll be about 5 months until it rains again. But somewhere that the rain is less seasonal, draining down to improve skimmer action would be a good idea.
--paulr

You need at least 1/2" - 1" of skimmer to properly skim your water. I leave mine at 1/2" from the top of the skimmer.

I also have a cartridge filter. I installed a threaded adapter in the drain plug then installed a pvc shut off valve and then a male 3/4 inch adapter. When the water gets to high from the rain I attach a garden hose to the 3/4 inch adapter and run it out away from the pool. Once I open the valve on the drain it pumps out the water. I also use this when I winterize the pool. Cost less that $10 in parts and takes about 5 minutes to make.

I did kind of the same thing, except I put a barbed hose fitting on the end of the pvc. I then clamp my backwash hose that I was given when I bought my pool (but didn't need because I have a cart filter) on the barbed fitting, route the hose where I want the water to go, turn the valve, and let 'er rip.

In fact, we just had a massive thunderstorm that dumped a bunch of rain, so I'll be draining a bit off this evening, it looks like.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.