Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I need to lower the water level, and how?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do I need to lower the water level, and how?

Hello,

I have a new 27' above ground pool. I filled it to just about half way up the skimmer. We have had rain the past few days and the water is now nearing the top of the skimmer. Do I need to drain some water out? If so how? I have a cartridge filter so there is no backwashing like a sand filter. There is a drain plug in the filter but that will just dump water out right by the pool. Is my best option to use a sump pump or just wait for us to splash it out and have the sun evaporate it?

Thanks
    17600 galon 27' round Mirage above ground. Eco-Kleer cartridge filter. Direct sunlight most of the day.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Do I need to lower the water level, and how?

What i do when it gets too high and need to get some out, I put in my Vacuum Brush (Or whatever you call it), The one that has hooks up to your Skimmer but instead take the end that goes to the skimmer and do a Nice big Suck or 2 or 3 on the hose and drop it to the ground... Lots of water will come barreling out.. Remember not not suck too much or you will be sucking in some water..
    17000 Gallons (16x32) Vinyl In Ground Pool
    Sand Filter
    Install "Finish Date" July 30 2014"
    Propane heater installed.. Used for 1 day.
    City Water.

3. Back To Top    #3

Probably best to drain it back down to where the water line is at the half mark on the skimmer like you had before. The reason is that the higher the water level is in relation to the skimmer opening, the less skimming action you will have.

Like sparkmaster mentioned, you can use a hose to siphon the water out by gravity. It's cheap and easy to do.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

4. Back To Top    #4

Depends on where you live. If I had that kind of water level right now I wouldn't touch it, because I expect it'll be about 5 months until it rains again. But somewhere that the rain is less seasonal, draining down to improve skimmer action would be a good idea.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

5. Back To Top    #5

You need at least 1/2" - 1" of skimmer to properly skim your water. I leave mine at 1/2" from the top of the skimmer.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

6. Back To Top    #6

I also have a cartridge filter. I installed a threaded adapter in the drain plug then installed a pvc shut off valve and then a male 3/4 inch adapter. When the water gets to high from the rain I attach a garden hose to the 3/4 inch adapter and run it out away from the pool. Once I open the valve on the drain it pumps out the water. I also use this when I winterize the pool. Cost less that $10 in parts and takes about 5 minutes to make.
    Patriot Arcadia 15' round 52". Pentair Clean and Clear 100 sqft Cartridge filter, 1HP Optiflow pump, Goldline Aquatrol SWG. 2 - 4'x20' solar panels roof mounted. All rigid PVC plumbing. Resin Solar reel with 8mil Thermo-tex solar cover. 14 x 12 deck.

Ovation 15'x24'x52'' AG. Pentair System 3 150 SQ foot cartridge filter, 1 1/2 HP pump.

7. Back To Top    #7

I did kind of the same thing, except I put a barbed hose fitting on the end of the pvc. I then clamp my backwash hose that I was given when I bought my pool (but didn't need because I have a cart filter) on the barbed fitting, route the hose where I want the water to go, turn the valve, and let 'er rip.

In fact, we just had a massive thunderstorm that dumped a bunch of rain, so I'll be draining a bit off this evening, it looks like.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"