Help with first time pool closing - blowing out the lines

SuddenPool

Bronze Supporter
Oct 24, 2016
West Lafayette, IN
Hi all.

First time pool owner, and at the point where I need to close it. Have spent some time going over relevant threads and stickys on the forum, but still need some guidance. Hopefully someone can help.

The main question I have at this point is how to blow out the lines. The pictures show my setup. There is a DE filter. Two incoming lines - one from the skimmer, and one from the main drain. I currently have the skimmer valve turned off because the water is below skimmer level (but above return level). One outgoing line which goes back to two return inlets in the pool.

IMG_20161123_170851.jpgIMG_20161123_170900.jpgIMG_20161123_170920.jpgIMG_20161123_170935.jpg

Based on reading some threads here, I concluded that I could get away with using a high power (6hp) shop-vac instead of spending a lot on a custom cyclone blower?

Now the question is what I should dismantle to blow into?

All this equipment is new to me and kinda in over my head (pun intended). Any help is greatly appreciated! Once I'm done, I suspect I will have another post asking about my safety cover (GLI ProMesh) installation ;)

Welcome to TFP and please add your signature.

There are 2 ways you can remove water from your system, based on your design (well actually 3 from the skimmer, but the distance may be too long). If you are attempting to use a shop vac, then the unions on the suction side of the pump is your best bet. You will have to remove the unions and start pushing air through the system. The skimmers should be fairly easy as you can first vacuum water out and then blow air to remove the rest. Your return jets will need to be plugged after each one starts bubbling. Also, I see that you have removable caps (before and after the filter) where you can attempt to push air through. You can probably create some sort of adapter that fits snuggly to the hose on the shop vac. If you work from this angle, then shut off valves towards the pump and filter, etc.

The main drain is a different story. This one will have to be done from the union. Make sure every valve besides the main drain is closed and push air through the piping. Once the main drain bubbles for about a minute, you can quickly shut off the valve, thereby creating an "air lock".

A word of caution as some people are not successful with a shop vac. I always recommend spending the additional amount of $$$ on the Cyclone as you will use this for years to come. Winterize your filter and pump in the section "Closing an in ground pool" You can also lower the water below the return jets if you have little success.

Thank you Catanzaro! I was not able to move the unions at all, and didn't even know what you meant by removable caps. But after some youtubing and a bit of luck, I came across this picture
SecondBodyImage1.jpeg
and these I was able to move and open! Phew!

Could you elaborate on why the main drain needs to be done from union? Could I not do it from the removable cap that is on the main drain line?

Could you elaborate on why the main drain needs to be done from union? Could I not do it from the removable cap that is on the main drain line?

Because you are trying to keep air locked in the plumbing line to the main drain. Once you remove the vacuum, air will be released and water will siphon back up. You would have to be pretty quick about putting the cap back in. What you could do is close off the valve to the main drain. Then crate a modified cap with a shut off valve and a port to place vacuum hose over it. Open the valve, blow air through the tubing and then after a minute of creating bubbles, close valve off (you will hear the air lock) and then shut off vacuum. Merely, just an extension of the cap and it could be temporary or permanent based on your design.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.