IG Vinyl: Liner Replaced, Fresh Water, now what?

Sunny John

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2007
Philadelphia
All,

Just had IG vinyl liner replaced, and water is being added. I saw a post for a new plaster startup, but not
a new vinyl...of course I'll clean up the DE grids in the filter and so on....but how long should the water
circulate before I start testing, and balancing ?

Pointers to another thread are welcome, I couldn't find any.

The water doesn't have to circulate at all to test, but don't add anything until the pump is in operation so the chemicals can circulate and not sit on the liner. If it's going to take a long time to get it full, you can put some bleach slowly into the stream of water entering the pool to keep algae from getting started.

Thanks John T. It's not taking long to fill, we're having pool/bulk water delivered. I don't want to 1) take this much from my well, and 2) run the well pump continuously for however long it's going to take. It will be full by 5PM today.

If it matters, I'll be moving to a SWG sometime later this season. Getting all this scheduled was a complete pain, had lots of rain between repair stages (I'll try to post pics later) and I couldn't deal with one more thing at this time.

Put a small jug of Clorox in your pool this evening.

Can you post test results? If you don't have a kit, please get some tests from the pool store (don't buy anything) and post those results up here. You will receive a lot of good advice.

Until you can post your tests, please add a small jug of clorox each evening....it'll keep your pool sanitary and prevent an algae bloom.

Thanks for the tip. I am familiar with the local pool store for tests...and have ordered the TFP kit. I will say thanks to reading this board last year before heading there for tests, I was able to deflect comments about phosphates...

Right now I am running the filter on recirculate. I am probably going to replace the grids in the DE filter just to make
certain I have no remaining metallic crud from Eclipse (which, actually, I haven't used since 2007 - again, thanks to this
forum).

Here are the test results from the pool store (my new TF kit hasn't arrived yet):

Pool: 23000 gallons, vinyl
Total Alkalinity; 75ppm
ph: 7.6
Total Hardness: 250 ppm
Iron: 0.0 ppm
copper: 0.3 ppm
Free Chlorine: 0.0 ppm
Total Chlorine: 0.0 ppm
Cyanuric Acid: 13 ppm
Phosphates: 100 ppb

I think I know to ignore anything about phosphates....I am surprised to see Cyanuric Acid in a fresh fill but if we have acid
rain and/or the source included municipal water, maybe that explains it.

So I think I need to get the Total Alkalinity up a bit, and chlorine as well of course. Wondering if it would be OK to use stabilized
chlorine now, not adding any additional CYA...

Hi John,

I suggest you leave the TA alone for now. Recommended Levels (Pool School) are 70 to 90.

The CYA test makes no sense. Unless you put some CYA in your pool, it is not in there.

Assuming you are going to go the bleach/liquid chlorine route, you need to add enough CYA to get to about 30 for now.
Add enough bleach/lq to keeep your FC around 2ppm and 24 hours after you add your CYA, adjust the FC level accordingly. See the Chlorine/CYA Chart in my sig.
ETA: :oops: oops, yes you can use the stabilized chlorine for now. Keep track of the CYA it will add to help you verify your CYA test once you get your kit.

It would be very helpful if you added your equipment specs in your sig. Go to the User Control Panel (upper left under TFP logo), select Profile, then Edit Sig.

I just noticed that you will be adding a SWG later, all the more reason to leave the TA alone! :wink:

Your pH is perfect 8)

Re: IG Vinyl: Liner Replaced, Fresh Water, now what? TEST RESULT

Here are the results of the first test with the TF100 kit:

FC: .5
CC: 0
TC: .5
ph: 7.3
T/A: 120
CH: 120
CYA: N/A

So a little different that those from the pool store, with CYA being the most glaring. Is the liquid for that test supposed to have
a tint? Mine did not, and I was able to see the black dot until the tube was full...

Just added some CYA that I had from last year. I need to get that up, I know, and the water is starting to get a slight
green tinge to it, so the bleach and stabilized chlorine are shot.

The test in the kit won't register below 20. Assume you have zero for now. How much did you add/what was your target? After 24 hours assume it's in there, but don't waste your testing reagent, you shouldn't bother to test for it for at least 5 days. You want at least 30, 50 is better.

Use bleach and get your chlorine up, if your water is greenish - use 10 as your FC target. Other numbers look ok.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.