Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG Water Chemistry...What do I really need?

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG Water Chemistry...What do I really need?

I just installed Aqua Rite SWG and took my sample to "pool store" and they tried (as they always do) to sell me calcium hardness additive. The manual says 200-400 is in range which I thought I read somewhere on this site that's not necessary with a vinyl liner. They also gave me some hoo haa on Phosphates. Hope someone can help.

Anyway here's my readings:
    TC - 1.5
    pH - 7.6
    Hardness - 150
    Alkalinity - 90
    CYA - 40
    Salt - 3400

I just added 4lbs of CYA today since I need to get to at least a target of 80. Manual recommends 80-120 which seems high. I read too high CYA hinders Chlorine's killing power.....

Do I need to add 10 lbs of Alkalinity up, 15 lbs of Calcium, and keep the stablizer cranking?
    Ben T
    2001 Fort Wayne In Ground 18x36 Rectangle - 22,300 Gallons - Vinyl Liner -Raypak RP2100 400K BTU Gas Heater - Jacuzzi 3/4 HP Sygnet Pump - 225L Sand Filter - Aqua Rite 40K Gallon SWG (Installed June 2009).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG Water Chemistry...What do I really need?

Your other numbers look fine...just some chlorine is needed...a little bleach will get you started while your SWG comes online
    25,000 gal IG Utopia pool/Raypack gas heater/BBB

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi,

You do not need any Alk Up from the pool store nor calcium increaser. 80 CYA sounds perfect.

Here's the link from Pool School for Water Balance Tips for SWGs

Hope this helps.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I guess it might depend on where you get your water from, but last year opening a new pool I only had to put Borax & CYA to mine. I think I added a bottle or two of chlorine just to give it a boost until my SWG got in full swing and I could figure out which setting it needed to be placed on. But I can honestly say mine was very trouble free. I got a timer for my SWG & pump and other than testing I never had to fool around with a bunch of other mess. I had heard so many horror stories and how hard it was to maintain a pool. My personal opinion is that the less "stuff" you can put into your pool.....probably the better off you are.....that way you aren't continuously guessing which thing is bumping what numbers. I wish you luck with your new SWG.
    Ballparkmom
    16 x 33 x 52" AG pool, Hayward Vari-flo pump & sand filter, 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 1 return, Zodiac LM3 24,000 SWG, Pool Rover Jr., 2 kids & a million toys

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Benttt
    Do I need to add 10 lbs of Alkalinity up...?
    NO!

Lowering my TA was the best thing I've done in helping limit maintenance doses of acid to my pool. Also, for whatever reason the pool stores invariably find my TA at 20-30. I consistently test it at 70-80. You may wish to invest in a good kit and test yourself. I still sometimes let my pool store test my water, but I ALWAYS test myself before I add anything to my pool... after all, nobody knows my water better than I.
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks everyone for saving me about $60!!
    B
    Ben T
    2001 Fort Wayne In Ground 18x36 Rectangle - 22,300 Gallons - Vinyl Liner -Raypak RP2100 400K BTU Gas Heater - Jacuzzi 3/4 HP Sygnet Pump - 225L Sand Filter - Aqua Rite 40K Gallon SWG (Installed June 2009).

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks everyone for saving me about $60!!
    B
    What test kit are you using? If you really want to save money and time, get a good test kit like the TF100. My fav. More bang for the buck and the seller (duraleigh) is always around to help.

With the kit, you will be in control of your pool and not the pool store. With the proper kit in hand, you should surely have a trouble free pool!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

I use strips and it usually reflects the PS results except for low CYA...anything below 30 doesn't seem to register on the strips.
    Do the really good test kits use the same color code type measures? I find it hard to read those. I had a kit that had me add drops to a glass things and I couldn't tell the shades.
    Anyway, back to the salt, why would the strips say 5500 PPM and the AWG read 4400 PPM? That's a huge difference. Since the thing has been running for two days, which is more accurate? Based on comments on this thread, the lower is the more accurate....so should I throw out the test strips and rely on display?
    B
    Ben T

9. Back To Top    #9

In this particular situation, it doesn't really matter which salt measurement is correct. All that really matters it that the SWG be happy and produce chlorine. The salt level will come down over time, and eventually, probably next season, you will need to add more salt. None of the other details about which is more accurate in most situaitons and which is probably more accurate in this specific situation really matter.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks Jason...most helpful!
    Ben T

11. Back To Top    #11

Do the really good test kits use the same color code type measures? I find it hard to read those. I had a kit that had me add drops to a glass things and I couldn't tell the shades.
    Depends on the test. Pretty much every pH test works that way. There's a quickie chlorine test that turns yellow, that's color-matching too. But in most of the tests, you put one kind of stuff in the sample, then you add drops of another kind until something happens, and the test measurement is the number of drops you added. Counting drops is lots easier than color-matching.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page