Bleach handling?

Gooserider

LifeTime Supporter
Not sure if this is the right place, but nothing else seemed to fit, Mod's feel free to move if need be...

I am currently using 12% bleach solution in the 5 gallon plastic jugs from the local pool store. I don't mind hauling the jugs around that much, but I am finding it difficult to deal with measuring out the appropriate dosages for the pool with some reasonable accuracy, and without spilling and generally making a mess.

What do folks use for this??? Are there any sort of useful pumps or other such items - I know that in the world of petrochemicals you can get small "barrel pumps" that let you dispense from a 5g pail, but not sure those would work with chlorine...

Currently I'm using some very crude measuring "cups" made from cut down detergent bottles and marked with a Sharpie, but I get a lot of spillage, and don't feel comfortable with that approach. I feel sure there must be something better. I've seen references to a "Liquidator" and other automation tools, but those sounded like they would be big bucks, and I'm trying not to spend a lot on this.

I've tried using the search, but haven't had much luck...

Pointers to suggested approaches appreciated.

Gooserider

PaulR said:
I get my 12% in 1-gallon jugs, the mind boggles at lugging around a 5-gal pail. What sort of spout/opening does it have? Maybe use a funnel to refill smaller jugs from the big one?
--paulr

I don't find the 5g pail all that bad to handle - it's a plastic bottle, not all that different from the cans I keep my 4-stroke OPE gas in (My 2-stroke mix I make by the gallon because I want to keep it fresh) I'm also a home brewer, and a plastic carboy of chlorine is a lot easier to handle than a 5 to 6.5 gallon glass carboy of mead, or the 5 gallon pails of honey I use (honey weighs 12lb / gall as opposed to around 8 for chlorine)

The place I was getting the 12% also had it in gallons, but it was almost a buck a gallon more expensive that way, plus left me with a bunch of empty jugs to get rid of - with the 5g buckets I have to pay a $6 / bucket deposit on the containers, but as long as I don't poke holes in them, just keep getting them refilled - less money and better for the environment.

The openning is a screw-top, probably about 2" in diameter - of the two sources I've gotten it from, one style jug is square and has a vent opening as well, the other is a round drum with only the pouring opening. I could try transferring it to a diffeent container,

I will have to check out that Wal-Mart pump - the Grainger link looks like it might be interesting if only they didn't immediately try to stick some sort of pop-up on top of the page... I'm trying to avoid transferring to another container if I can, as I figure that every time I transfer it's extra handling, and that much more risk of spillage.

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
Not sure if this is the right place, but nothing else seemed to fit, Mod's feel free to move if need be...

I am currently using 12% bleach solution in the 5 gallon plastic jugs from the local pool store. I don't mind hauling the jugs around that much, but I am finding it difficult to deal with measuring out the appropriate dosages for the pool with some reasonable accuracy, and without spilling and generally making a mess.

What do folks use for this??? Are there any sort of useful pumps or other such items - I know that in the world of petrochemicals you can get small "barrel pumps" that let you dispense from a 5g pail, but not sure those would work with chlorine...

Currently I'm using some very crude measuring "cups" made from cut down detergent bottles and marked with a Sharpie, but I get a lot of spillage, and don't feel comfortable with that approach. I feel sure there must be something better. I've seen references to a "Liquidator" and other automation tools, but those sounded like they would be big bucks, and I'm trying not to spend a lot on this.

I've tried using the search, but haven't had much luck...

Pointers to suggested approaches appreciated.

Gooserider

This is the best pump I've found for the 5 and 2.5 gal carboys:

"Chlorine Container Pump"

http://www.becksonindustrial.com/poolpump.html

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.