Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bleach handling?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bleach handling?

Not sure if this is the right place, but nothing else seemed to fit, Mod's feel free to move if need be...

I am currently using 12% bleach solution in the 5 gallon plastic jugs from the local pool store. I don't mind hauling the jugs around that much, but I am finding it difficult to deal with measuring out the appropriate dosages for the pool with some reasonable accuracy, and without spilling and generally making a mess.

What do folks use for this??? Are there any sort of useful pumps or other such items - I know that in the world of petrochemicals you can get small "barrel pumps" that let you dispense from a 5g pail, but not sure those would work with chlorine...

Currently I'm using some very crude measuring "cups" made from cut down detergent bottles and marked with a Sharpie, but I get a lot of spillage, and don't feel comfortable with that approach. I feel sure there must be something better. I've seen references to a "Liquidator" and other automation tools, but those sounded like they would be big bucks, and I'm trying not to spend a lot on this.

I've tried using the search, but haven't had much luck...

Pointers to suggested approaches appreciated.

Gooserider
    Free-form Inground gunnite pool, Estimated 16-17K gallons. New Pentair TR60 ClearPro 24" sand filter and Compupool CPSC-48 SWG, Hayward SP1607X10 Pump w/ 1HP motor, 1.5" plumbing, Polaris Pressure cleaner w/ booster pump. pool is more than 25 yrs old, less than 35. Not painted, deteriorating tile surround. I am paraplegic, get in/out of pool w/ S.R. SMITH PAL portable pool lift (significantly modified)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bleach handling?

I get my 12% in 1-gallon jugs, the mind boggles at lugging around a 5-gal pail. What sort of spout/opening does it have? Maybe use a funnel to refill smaller jugs from the big one?
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

3. Back To Top    #3

Something along the lines of this transfer pump should work. I'm not at all sure that particular one is ideal, but there ought to be something very much like it that works well.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Wal-Mart sells a siphon pump in automotives located with their gas cans that you can use. It looks similar to the pumps in the ready to use bug killers that have a long tube.

Susan
    18x33 AGP, BAQUAPURE 200 lb sandfilter, 2 1/2hp Workhorse pump (2 speed)

5. Back To Top    #5

I use this dispenser to store mine:

http://store.rightlook.com/index.asp?Pa ... ProdID=213
    18' Round ABG (8000 gallon)
    Hayward X-Stream Cartridge Filter
    1.5hp Hayward PowerFlo Matrix Pump
    80 sq. ft. solar panels
    Goldline automated solar controller

6. Back To Top    #6

I put my chlorine in my old 5 gallon trichlor tab buckets and scoop it out with a measuring cup.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    I get my 12% in 1-gallon jugs, the mind boggles at lugging around a 5-gal pail. What sort of spout/opening does it have? Maybe use a funnel to refill smaller jugs from the big one?
    --paulr
    I don't find the 5g pail all that bad to handle - it's a plastic bottle, not all that different from the cans I keep my 4-stroke OPE gas in (My 2-stroke mix I make by the gallon because I want to keep it fresh) I'm also a home brewer, and a plastic carboy of chlorine is a lot easier to handle than a 5 to 6.5 gallon glass carboy of mead, or the 5 gallon pails of honey I use (honey weighs 12lb / gall as opposed to around 8 for chlorine)

The place I was getting the 12% also had it in gallons, but it was almost a buck a gallon more expensive that way, plus left me with a bunch of empty jugs to get rid of - with the 5g buckets I have to pay a $6 / bucket deposit on the containers, but as long as I don't poke holes in them, just keep getting them refilled - less money and better for the environment.

The openning is a screw-top, probably about 2" in diameter - of the two sources I've gotten it from, one style jug is square and has a vent opening as well, the other is a round drum with only the pouring opening. I could try transferring it to a diffeent container,

I will have to check out that Wal-Mart pump - the Grainger link looks like it might be interesting if only they didn't immediately try to stick some sort of pop-up on top of the page... I'm trying to avoid transferring to another container if I can, as I figure that every time I transfer it's extra handling, and that much more risk of spillage.

Gooserider
    Free-form Inground gunnite pool, Estimated 16-17K gallons. New Pentair TR60 ClearPro 24" sand filter and Compupool CPSC-48 SWG, Hayward SP1607X10 Pump w/ 1HP motor, 1.5" plumbing, Polaris Pressure cleaner w/ booster pump. pool is more than 25 yrs old, less than 35. Not painted, deteriorating tile surround. I am paraplegic, get in/out of pool w/ S.R. SMITH PAL portable pool lift (significantly modified)

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Gooserider
    Not sure if this is the right place, but nothing else seemed to fit, Mod's feel free to move if need be...

I am currently using 12% bleach solution in the 5 gallon plastic jugs from the local pool store. I don't mind hauling the jugs around that much, but I am finding it difficult to deal with measuring out the appropriate dosages for the pool with some reasonable accuracy, and without spilling and generally making a mess.

What do folks use for this??? Are there any sort of useful pumps or other such items - I know that in the world of petrochemicals you can get small "barrel pumps" that let you dispense from a 5g pail, but not sure those would work with chlorine...

Currently I'm using some very crude measuring "cups" made from cut down detergent bottles and marked with a Sharpie, but I get a lot of spillage, and don't feel comfortable with that approach. I feel sure there must be something better. I've seen references to a "Liquidator" and other automation tools, but those sounded like they would be big bucks, and I'm trying not to spend a lot on this.

I've tried using the search, but haven't had much luck...

Pointers to suggested approaches appreciated.

Gooserider

This is the best pump I've found for the 5 and 2.5 gal carboys:

"Chlorine Container Pump"

http://www.becksonindustrial.com/poolpump.html
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.