Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Inground Umbrella Stands....

1. Back To Top    #1

Inground Umbrella Stands....

Im wanting to install a permanent in the ground (concrete!) umbrella stand is flush with the concrete when an umbrella is not in use. I have seen pictures of members pools with the stand alone umbrellas and wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of where to locate something. Or if it was a DYI, how it was constructed! Thanks all!
    Above Ground 14.2 K Gallon, vinyl, Baquapure sand filter, 2.5 HP pump, K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Inground Umbrella Stands....

IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

3. Back To Top    #3

My umbrellas poles fit perfectly in a 1 1/2 inch pvc pipe. Cap one end and sink it into the concrete when it's poured.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

how deep do you set in the PVC pipe?
    14000K gal 400sq ft w 6x8 spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS3050, Pentair cart filter, Pentair Master Temp, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, Pentair Easy Touch 8, wireless control. 3x intellibrite LED light. Pentair Kreepy Krauley Sand Shark. Solar Panel Plumbing. 2 x 24 inch arc sheer 24" spa spill way.

5. Back To Top    #5

Waterway Plastics makes volleyball pole holders/umbrella holders for around $18 bucks or so. Scroll down to page 170. I dug a hole about 1 ft. in diameter and 1 ft. deep and set it in the concrete as it was setting. It comes with a threaded cap to cover it when not in use. I'm not sure how you'd cover it if you just used a regular piece of PVC pipe.

http://www.waterwayplastics.com/catalog ... iscacc.pdf
    40 X 26 Free Form Pool with attached 9 X 7 Spa raised 18" with 8 Jets and Spillover, and an Art Rock Waterfall/Grotto with accent rocks, 26,000 gallons
    Intelliflo VF-3050 for Pool, VS-3050 for Spa Jets, VS-3050 for Waterfall/Grotto, Quad DE 80, 400K BTU Mastertemp, Intellitouch i7+3 w/ iS10 10 Function Spa-Side Remote, Intellichlor IC40 Salt Chlorinator, Telephone Remote, 2 Intellibrites for Pool/ 1 for Spa, Solar Panels on 2 story Roof w/ 75% coverage
    Pebble Tec Tropical Breeze Tsunami's Pool Build

6. Back To Top    #6

found this at about $11 each. but they are only about 4" deep.
    14000K gal 400sq ft w 6x8 spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS3050, Pentair cart filter, Pentair Master Temp, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, Pentair Easy Touch 8, wireless control. 3x intellibrite LED light. Pentair Kreepy Krauley Sand Shark. Solar Panel Plumbing. 2 x 24 inch arc sheer 24" spa spill way.

7. Back To Top    #7

Good question. I too, have wondered that. I am also wondering how the umbrellas hold up on a windy day when they are open?
    18,000 gal, 18x32 IGP, vinyl liner, 3 to 5.5ft depth. One inlet/skimmer (Aqua Genie), one main drain. Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter w/filtration rate of 20 GPM/FT, Two-Speed Pentair Whisperflo 1 HP pump, Natural Gas Hayward H200 pool heater, Aquabot T2 (200 Series) Robotic Pool Cleaner (my best friend), Automatic Electric Pool Cover (2nd best friend).

8. Back To Top    #8

Just use a length 1.5" PVC pipe with a cap glued on the end that goes in the ground and glue a fitting on the other end to accept a 1.5" threaded plug. Set it in concrete flush with the ground and cap when not in use.

-Brad-
    20' x 40' "old school" poured concrete,
    Square corners with constant slope floor.
    3.5' to 8.5' deep, 34,250 gallons,
    Nautilus Plus NSP 72, Sta-Rite P6E6E-206L pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

I am also wondering how the umbrellas hold up on a windy day when they are open?
    I've had mine come out on 2 occasions. No problems when they are closed ... in 30+ mph winds.

One other issue. We purchased umbrellas that can be tilted ... given the "play" in the inground stand, when they're tilted they tend to act like kites - turning in what ever direction the breeze is blowing. (the 1.5" pvc sleeve doesn't provide a snug fit for the umbrella pole)
    32x22 Free Form Gunite (3'9"- 5'3") 6'x9' Free Form Spa - 12 Jets, Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Color Logic LED Lights, AquaLogic PS-8 control, Goldline Salt Chlorine Generator, 1.5hp Tristar 2 speed pool pump, 1.5hp Tristar pump - sheer descents, 1.5hp Tristar spa pump w/1.0hp Blower, Hayward DE6020 Filter, Hayward 400K BTU Heater, Hayward Tigershark RC9990 cleaner.

10. Back To Top    #10

Interesting that I found this post. I just poured my deck and in around the stamped concrete I placed 8 umbrella stand sleeves made from 1/5" PVC. I also got online to find plugs that can go into them when they are not being used. The plugs are tight and needed a little sanding so that they would not stick in there, but they are fantastic. I will post photos when I can, but here are the plugs I used. Best $1.53 I ever spent.

They sit flush in with the deck and have a slight convex top to them. I was surprised at how rigid they actually were - very strong.

Happy Modding.
    Josh S
    ----------------------------
    20.8k gal vinyl kidney; 600sqft surf area, Hayward 1HP Super; 300Lb Sand Filter; Aqua-Rite/T-9; RainbowRay LEDs, Jandy Deck Jets; and a whole 'lotta sweat n time...

11. Back To Top    #11

I started a similar thread during my build:

umbrella-mounts-in-concrete-t38970.html

Work great and like the threaded/gasket protected caps.

Good luck!

12. Back To Top    #12

Nice. It's the little things that make people notice and admiring your own inventiveness always makes the drink taste colder...
    Josh S
    ----------------------------
    20.8k gal vinyl kidney; 600sqft surf area, Hayward 1HP Super; 300Lb Sand Filter; Aqua-Rite/T-9; RainbowRay LEDs, Jandy Deck Jets; and a whole 'lotta sweat n time...