Price check on aisle 9

May 31, 2009
Houston, TX
Did the math and I was suprised.....but then again I wasn't.

My LPS has a case - (4) 1 gallon jugs - of Liquid Chlorine (10%) for $15. That's not a sale price, it's thier everyday standard price. After doing the math I found it would take a dozen clorox jugs to equal the one case of the Liquid Chlorine. So, back to the math. The case of LC after tax is about $16.50. The dozen jugs of clorox after tax is about $19.50 at wally world. Not a bad savings, and less jugs too.

So I still get to see my buddies at the pool shop every week :goodjob:

sS

Still expensive for my area, but many people can get better chlorine deals at the pool store than bleach. It's 4.25 per 2.5 gal 10.5% refill here, but there's always buy 2 get 1 free going on, plus the punchcard for buy 10 get 11th free.

4 gallons is 512 oz. Adjusting 10% down to 6%, means you need 854 oz of 6% to be the equivalent. If you are looking at 96 oz jugs, that is almost 9 jugs. If you are looking at 182 oz jugs that is somewhat less than 5 jugs.

If you are getting one dozen 96 oz jugs for $19.50, 9 of them cost about $14.65. So it looks to me like the clorox is less expensive.

My pool store has 5gal carboys at 16.99 for 12.5%. Maryland law makes it prohibitive for the PS to refill. The ones they have are filled and shipped in. Some of these I suspect make it to the store room for winter. I tested two that I bought because I was not getting FC levels I expected. They tested at 7.5%. The 182oz containers from Walmart are a better deal if you can't be sure your getting fresh Chlorine. The only places that have the bulk tanks are the wholesale pool suppliers and cleaning chemical companies. All the ones around here will not sell retail to the consumer. As I made calls, I was told that some companies will use 15% but only claim 10% on the label to allow for degradation.

If anyone in the Balt/Md area knows where bulk refills may be obtained, please post!

I saw that liquid shock at the christmas tree store too. I was wary though that it might be old, or not as strong as advertised. Let me know how it works for you! (BTW its really called the christmas tree store, and they have all kinds of neat stuff this time of year- beach decor, tiki decorations, americana decor, snacks, picnic items, etc. Like a big party store!) :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just bought a case (4 gals) 10% Liquid Chlorine at my local Meijers Supermarket for $10.00. So far, thats been the best price for me and I am going back to buy more today. I had been buying it from a local PS for $12.00.

h2ctpdjl said:
I just bought a case (4 gals) 10% Liquid Chlorine at my local Meijers Supermarket for $10.00. So far, thats been the best price for me and I am going back to buy more today. I had been buying it from a local PS for $12.00.

Where in Indiana are you...I am in NW indiana...Lake County...do you have a Great Escape near you...12.5% for $2.50 a gallon...worth getting...I have had a lot of Crud in my pool...Took it up to 10ppm with less than a gallon of the stuff, and it held there over night. Of course that was with solar cover on. I just think I get a lot of evaporation. When cover is on my FC will hold for three days or more.

I am down in southern Indiana. No store around here with that name. I am only paying $2.50 a gallon of the 10%, so I am happy with that. I just bought 3 more cases. I know exactly how much I need to add to my pool to raise it 1ppm. Same for the regular 6% bleach. Thanks to converting to the BBB method, taking care of my pool has never been easier.

dlduvall said:
I saw that liquid shock at the christmas tree store too. I was wary though that it might be old, or not as strong as advertised. Let me know how it works for you! (BTW its really called the christmas tree store, and they have all kinds of neat stuff this time of year- beach decor, tiki decorations, americana decor, snacks, picnic items, etc. Like a big party store!) :-D

I bought a case of 4 bottles and the date stamped on the case read, "09 APR 09", so I am assuming it's still relatively fresh. I don't have the proper test equipment to actually test the percentage of sodium hypochlorite in solution, so I'll have to wait to use to find out, probably in a few days.

We just went to Wally World for bleach (they've had empty Wally Value shelves for about 3 weeks now) and they've replaced their bottles with new labels...and raised the price from $2.63 to $3.98 :shock: I guess it's back to Lowe's for the 10% gal for $4.98 :( Does anyone know where in the Dallas Texas area we could find 12%? I've checked with all the pool stores and the closest I can come is the 10% at Lowes.

Cherie said:
We just went to Wally World for bleach (they've had empty Wally Value shelves for about 3 weeks now) and they've replaced their bottles with new labels...and raised the price from $2.63 to $3.98 :shock: I guess it's back to Lowe's for the 10% gal for $4.98 :( Does anyone know where in the Dallas Texas area we could find 12%? I've checked with all the pool stores and the closest I can come is the 10% at Lowes.

I wish I could help...I love the 12.5%. I only use about 30-45 ounces a day and it keeps me right at target. Man I was using a full gallon of 6% in two days...This price is great...it comes to $2.49 a gallon...I wish I could ship it to ya!!! I think Fed Ex would frown on that though!!!
Beave

Oh well Beave...it's the thought that counts :-D It just occurred to me that I may find it at a cleaning supply store. I'll have to do some homework on it! Right now, we're only using 1 qt of 10% daily. But I expect that to change when we get to start swimming every day! So I'd really like to find the 12% (or higher).

cubbybeave08 said:
I just got 8 jugs of 12.5 % from The Great Escape for less than $20...that is $2.50 per gallon.
Not that bad!!! That is 128 ounces per jug.
That is where I buy my Chlorine. Don't much care about pennies, it is cheap, and I was sick of tossing 8 gallon jugs or more of Chlorox in the recycling all the time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.