Price check on aisle 9

johnsjets said:
I bought a case of 4 bottles and the date stamped on the case read, "09 APR 09", so I am assuming it's still relatively fresh. I don't have the proper test equipment to actually test the percentage of sodium hypochlorite in solution, so I'll have to wait to use to find out, probably in a few days.

Just as a follow up to anyone that's interested:
Added 1/2 gallon of the 12.5% liquid shock last evening (TC and FC levels near 0). This morning the TC an FC levels were at 2PPM. Allowing for the overnight losses,this reading would seem to be consistent with the percentage values printed on the label.

My two cheapest choices are bleach at Wal-mart and Costco.

Coscto has 3 packs of 182oz Clorox for $7.99, which comes out to $0.24 per oz of Cl. That's the same price as Walmart brand at $2.54 for 174oz.

I chose the Clorox at Costco because it's probably been on a shelf for a much shorter time than the wal-mart stuff.

Well, I was hoping I just went in on a bad day and they were out of the Ultra 182oz. But I just confirmed with them that they are bringing in the Greater Value products. That is the one that is $3.98 for the 182 oz, where the Wal-Mart brand Ultra was $2.63 :cry:

So far, I can't find any 12% even close to our area. Lowe's sells 10% gal for $4.98 :shock: . But I just found some 10% at a janitorial supply company in Garland, Texas which is $14.55 per case (4 1-gal). So $3.63 per gallon, as opposed to $4.98 at Lowe's. Guess I'll be making trips over to Garland once a month :roll: now that gas has skyrocketed....again (great job, government!)

I'm not sure how all the pricing would work out on the $3.63/gal 10% v. other stores 6% (now that Wally World is no longer available). But for us, we've decided to get our deck built pronto and install a cover to keep our chlorine requirements low. Right now, since we've had our solar cover on, we've only been using 1 qt 10% daily and have hardly lost any water at all. But it got up to 93 last night :shock: so had to remove the cover for now.

Here is a quick look at the cost comparison:

Store,price per container,oz per container,price/oz,price/gallon,% Cl vs 6% std,standardized cost per oz
Costco $2.66, 182, $0.015, $1.87, 6, $0.0146
Walmart $2.54, 182, $0.014, $1.79, 6, $0.0140
Ind Sup $3.63, 128, $0.028, $3.63, 10, $0.0170
CVS $1.50, 96, $0.016, $2.00, 6, $0.0156

In summary, Walmart is the cheapest @ 1.4 cents/oz and Industrial supply in Garland most expensive @ 1.7 cents/oz after standardizing the cost of 10% vs 6% chlorine. CVS sale this week still more than Costco or Walmart assuming those prices are still current, but not bad at 1.56 cents/oz.

You all know we are all nuts...my wife laughs at me all the time, because I will drive to the next town to buy gas that is 5 cents cheaper...She finds me absurd when I get mad when i buy gas at one price and then see it cheaper at the next station up the road...imagine what she'd say about all this looking for the best price for chlorine...she doesn't understand that we are all obsessed about our pools. Very few people do! :whoot:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Cherie said:
Nice job Wes, thanks! :goodjob:

Well, you know since I'm in Garland I thought I'd see what the true cost was for the Industrial Supply 10% product. I got the 182 oz, 3 pack Clorox at Sam's last time but don't remember the price. Now that I created the Excel spreadsheet I'll be able to determine the lowest true cost of any % Cl and any size container.

Wes45 said:
Cherie said:
Nice job Wes, thanks! :goodjob:

Well, you know since I'm in Garland I thought I'd see what the true cost was for the Industrial Supply 10% product. I got the 182 oz, 3 pack Clorox at Sam's last time but don't remember the price. Now that I created the Excel spreadsheet I'll be able to determine the lowest true cost of any % Cl and any size container.
I'm near you in Richardson, and I paid $7.15 for 3 182 oz. Clorox at Costco a couple of weeks ago. I think that's a pretty good price.

OK, so between Garland, Richardson, myself in Wylie and amjohn in Greenville, we SHOULD be able to track down some 12% somewhere in the area!! :wink:

I just want to not have to lug a huge jug out to the pool AND I don't want to have dump very much in the pool - since I dilute it with water in a 2 qt pitcher and pour it into the skimmer. Much easier to pour 1 qt of 12% than 2qts 6%!

I paid $5.59 for a 2 pack of 182 oz Clorox 6% so $1.97 per gallon at COSTCO.

Even though some PS are cheaper, you have to have one near you. If you don't then COSTCO and Wally World are your choices. Besides, TX, CA and FL are pretty much guaranteed to have PS.

Cherie said:
Does anyone know where in the Dallas Texas area we could find 12%? I've checked with all the pool stores and the closest I can come is the 10% at Lowes.

I feel your pain Cherie, I am over at Benbrook (Fort Worth) and I can not find any other source that Lowes too. For what the sell it for Sams club 6% Clorox is by far the better way to go. If you ever find a spot please let me know and I will do the same.

Wes45 said:
Here is a quick look at the cost comparison:

Store,price per container,oz per container,price/oz,price/gallon,% Cl vs 6% std,standardized cost per oz
Costco $2.66, 182, $0.015, $1.87, 6, $0.0146
Walmart $2.54, 182, $0.014, $1.79, 6, $0.0140
Ind Sup $3.63, 128, $0.028, $3.63, 10, $0.0170
CVS $1.50, 96, $0.016, $2.00, 6, $0.0156

In summary, Walmart is the cheapest @ 1.4 cents/oz and Industrial supply in Garland most expensive @ 1.7 cents/oz after standardizing the cost of 10% vs 6% chlorine. CVS sale this week still more than Costco or Walmart assuming those prices are still current, but not bad at 1.56 cents/oz.

Wes help me understand this better please. I admit I am not the sharpest tack with math but I was looking at it differently (and probably wrong ).

182oz bottle of 6% yields 10.92oz of pure chlorine
128oz bottle of 10% yields 12.8 oz of pure chlorine.

So if Walmart sells the 6% at $2.54/bottle that is $0.232 per oz of pure chlorine 6% of 182/$2.54
Ind Sup sells 10% at 3.63/bottle that is $0.283 per oz of pure chlorine 10% of 128/$3.63

How did you get to 1.4 cents/oz and 1.7 cents/oz?

AV8TOR said:
So if Walmart sells the 6% at $2.54/bottle that is $0.232 per oz of pure chlorine 6% of 182/$2.54
Ind Sup sells 10% at 3.63/bottle that is $0.283 per oz of pure chlorine 10% of 128/$3.63
The "unit price" calculation is

price / (oz x percent)

so $2.54 / (182 x .06) = $0.233 (rounded from $0.2326)
and 3.63 / (128 x .10) = $0.284 (rounded from $0.2835)

So, you are basically correct.
--paulr

I created an excel spreadsheet and based the "normalized" price on an oz of 6% bleach, not the price of the chlorine content. Both of our calculations should identify the same cheapest source of supply though.

If you PM me with your email, I'll send you the spreadsheet so you can plug in some numbers. I created it in few minutes the other day but believe it's accurate for calculating the cheapest source of supply.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.