Looking for a New Chlorine Option

I have recently discovered my CYA creeping up to about 70ppm. I have also recently purchased a Hayward Chlorinator that I would like to keep in use. Can anyone suggest an alternative to Trichlor pucks that will still allow me to use my chlorinator without adding CYA?

thanks in advance,
mike

mhugues said:
I have recently discovered my CYA creeping up to about 70ppm. I have also recently purchased a Hayward Chlorinator that I would like to keep in use. Can anyone suggest an alternative to Trichlor pucks that will still allow me to use my chlorinator without adding CYA?

thanks in advance,
mike

In a word...no :cheers:

If you really want the low/no maintenance thing...a SWG is what you need :goodjob:

mhugues said:

thanks in advance,
mike
The only thing you can use in the chlorinator is trichlor. Trichlor is a clhorinated isocyanurruate which is a chemical made from chlorine and CYA. It's used in erosion feeders like your Hayward because it is a very slow dissolving form of chlorine. All other forms of solid chlorine dissolve way to fast to be used in erosion feeders.

Since nobody has mentioned it: you can try the Liquidator option.
There's plenty of information about it and stories of experienced users in the Chemical Automation and The Liquidator forum. It's a lot cheaper than an SWG and you don't need to add salt to your pool. Don't be alarmed by the "White stuff" issue. In most cases it's just cosmetic.

It's funny how we all go through the same thought process once we ween ourselves off the trichlor pucks.

I was just sure there had to be another way to use my chlorinator, but after much research, it just isn't possible.

I get into the routine of adding liquid chlorine to my pool every night after dinner. If the solar cover is on, I simply peel it away from the edges and slowly pour it over the return jet. I then use the long object retriever to stir it up a little. It makes a great mixer.

if you're free chlorine is stable, you can pretty much automatically know how much to add each night or every other night.

Thank you all for your help and thoughts, it is greatly appreciated. I guess my next challenge is how to plug up those little hole I drilled to put the chlorinator in :cry: I will also have to learn how to chlorinate using liquid. You would think I would have gone this route in the first place since I work at a commercial laundry and can get 15% bleach for free. I currently have 9 gallons left since I used 1 to open the pool. Any idea how much I would use in a season?

thanks again,
mike

15% bleach doesn't have all that long of a shelf life. The strength fades out quickly at first and then more slowly. It is probably only around 15% for a week or so. You may need to a little experimentation to figure out what strength it actually is when you get around to using it.

An "average" pool uses about 2 ppm of chlorine a day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There's a chart giving bleach degradation info here (snagged the url last time chem geek posted it, I knew I'd want it again...) For 15% stored at 80F, the half-life (time it takes to degrade to 7.5%) is 100 days; at 90F, 28 days.
--paulr

Don't forget that this table is for a quality product with virtually no metal contamination in it. Some lower quality products from different manufacturers could degrade far more quickly. So, Ultra Chlor from Odyssey Manufacturing is apparently good as is 12.5% Sani-Clor from Hasa that I use and have tested. I can't vouch for others.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.