Portable Chlorine Generator

I have not looked at this yet, but there have been numerous things on that site debunked, some of which have garnered a whole lot of money. "Water Seer" is one that comes to mind. Totally debunked, but its staggering to see how much they have earned in donations. I'm interested enough to have a look, but I say proceed with extreme caution with things on that site.

I have to agree with Patrick, if they had a working prototype already then it should have been on Kickstarter. In the engineering field Indigogo is considered the place to go for scams because they don't vet the devices like Kickstarter does. There is a reason the Skarp laser razor was shut down on Kickstarter and showed right back up on Indigogo (and still got millions of dollars for something that will not work well if it works at all). This also hits all of the same points as the mentioned Water Seer; appeal for poor water stricken communities on an idea that on the surface sounds like it is based on good science. The Water Seer sounds good, condensation is a thing that happens, but as Thunderf00t covered in great detail on his YouTube channel, the numbers completely fall apart upon very simple feasibility calculations. I would be concerned this device would fall in to the same problem.

Looks ok, it's just a saltwater chlorine generator attached to a 12V battery. The main problem I see with it is that it will generate FC in the water sample added to the electrolysis chamber BUT that chlorine will be fairly low concentration and it won't last too long unless the pH is raised substantially. Free chlorine (hypochlorous acid and hypochlorite anion) is simply not stable at normal pH levels. So, if the water in the cell is not properly conditioned, you'll just generate some fairly unstable FC in the water sample and lots of chlorine gas which will outgas before it mixes into the water. Then there's also the issue of using starting water with any level of calcium in it - the electrodes will scale up like crazy.

I'd have to see a lot more information on the chemistry side of it as well as how they are implementing it in the field before any thought of donations would be possible. The last thing you want to do is to deploy technology of this kind to at-risk communities with a false hope that it will solve their water problems...it could make people worse off, not better.

I was thinking the same thing about the concentration of the chlorine, but I don't know as much as most of you guys. It is a company that has been around for a long time, and has a good reputation on their gear. I've used their filters and stoves for years, but you never know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.