Lots and Lots of Baking Soda and Bleach. TA through roof

Jul 14, 2008
Ok, My husband has gotten into the pool and scrubbed the walls and cleaned it, we have been cleaning the cart filter on a daily basis. We have added about 12 96 oz bottle of bleach two days in a row... and the 12lb bag of baking soda twice... all to try to clean it up a little before taking a water sample... Did that today... Oh the glorious pool store people... Of course they were in shock by our results and tried to sell me something that I "Needed" to add 3lbs every day for 17 days and it was only $18.00 for a 6lb bag... So, 18.00 every two days... nah, think not... So... Here are my numbers
0.1 FC
0.1 Total C
8.1 PH
343 TA
65 Calcium Hardness
0 Copper
0 CYA

So I know I need some Stabilizer, and definitely more bleach... but to lower the TA I need muriatic acid, right? And where might I find that? Or is there a more common name for it? Any help you wonderful pool gurus can give would be so very appreciated :) Thanks

leeotwell said:
We have added about 12 96 oz bottle of bleach two days in a row... and the 12lb bag of baking soda twice...
343 TA
BAking soda is used to raise TA. You added 24lbs to a 5400 gal pool? That raised your TA by 317 ppm!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.