Swap Cartridge for Sand?

Jun 9, 2009
I am approx. 2 days into converting our pool to Chlorine. We have a 20 foot above ground pool (circle) and now we have slightly cloudy water that is blue now. Oh yea...finally.

I have a cartridge system. The sticker on the pump says 2.5 hp AO Smith. It is a variable speed. Previously I have hated the cartridge system because I really cant backwash or vacuum to waste. A filter/cartridge does not seem to even last me 6-9 months (previously with Baquacil). The Unicel number is C-8416 and looks like they are around 100 dollars online.

Do I go head and let local pool company install a Sand Filter with the current pump ($400) or do I keep the cartridge system? I am afraid the pump is going to be too large for the sand filter?
Comments?

Thanks
JB

There is also no harm in keeping your cartridge system. Asking sand or cartridge is kind of like saying Coke or Pepsi. Everyone has a strong opinion, but it is really a matter of personal preference.

Get the sand and dont look back. I feel that the sand is easier to maintain. I only need to backwash 3-4 times a year and it takes about 5 minutes to do. If you stay with a cartridge then get an extra set of filters so you can clean them on your own time while the new ones are in the filter.

I have only used cartridges, never been around a sand or DE. That said, I swap my cartridges every month. Take the dirty one and hose it off, spray some cart cleaner on it and rinse. Takes me about 1/2 hour total. End of the year I take both carts put them in a tub with some dishwasher det. and let soak for a couple of hours while I take pool down. (Ya sure here in Minnneesota it getss cooold in vinter). Let them dry and store them in the shed. You can get replacement filters for $80 here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/C8413-Unicel-C-...0?hash=item3350d588d7&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116
Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.