Test results what is first

Jun 2, 2009
Hello I just got my test kit and have done my first test and here are my results. What do you "the Experts" recommend first?

FC = 1
CC = .5
TC = 1
PH = 6.8
T/A = 100
CYA = 0 -from what I could tell
Temp = 62
water is clear

here is what the pool calc tells me, does it matter what order
109 oz of bleach
103 oz of soda ash
94 oz of stabilizer

Thanks for the help

1. Pour a small bottle of Clorox in your pool each evening for the next 3-4 days. This will help sanitize your pool until the stabilizer (CYA) can take effect.

2. Add the recommended amount of stabilizer. Test for it again in 4 days.

3. Go back to the calculator and add enough 20 Mule Team Borax to raise your pH to 7.4....disregard the soda ash.

4. Read and reread Pool School to understand what you are adding to your pool and why.

5. Post test results again in 4 days or so.

Ok added the stabilizer. Is there a good way of doing this? We mixed the amount listed in the calculator in a bucket and poured into pool slowly, all the stabilizer did not disolve so there is some on the bottom of the pool. I am assuming it will dissolve more as time goes on. Also is the pool store the only place to get stabilizer (the pool store by my place calls it conditioner)?

Thanks for the help.

Vacume it up into your filter, leave your filter running for 24-48 hours while it dissolves... you don't want to leave it on the floor dissolving.

You can find it at Wal-mart and similar big-box stores that have pool departments, also check Lowes, or order on the internet.

The more usual way of adding CYA is to put it into a sock (like the kind you have on your feet), tie it up, and either put it in the skimmer (making sure you have the pump on 24/7 until it dissolves) or hang it in front of a return jet.

Next up--borax! Don't need to wait for the CYA to be dissolved before you do that.

And don't forget what duraleigh said about bleach.
--paulr

Tested today and here are the current results.

FC = 1.5
CC = 0
TC = 1
PH = 6.8
TA = 130
CYA = 20
Temp is 70

Water is still very clear. If I read the pool calc correct I need to add 91oz of bleach, 232oz of broax and 54oz of stabilizer.

The amounts you list sound reasonable, though I would do the PH change in two steps, half at a time testing in between, just in case the measurements/calculations are off a little. Also, I might target a PH of 7.2 and then let the PH drift up the rest of the way by it's self.

Taking over for my hubby- please be patient with me. Thanks

Threads merged for consistency by Moderator.

Hello- I am Kimberly, taking over for Jourdan. Here are today's test results: FC= 6, CC= 0, TC = 6, pH= 6.8, T/A= 60, CYA = 40. Temp is 80, it is clear and beautiful. I have not had a chance to read pool school- but will over the next few days. Is there anything at this time you would recommend me to do. Thanks much! :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Kimberly,

I merged the two threads to keep things consistent. :wink:

Are you sure you did the TA test correctly? I'm wondering why the result is so much lower than the other day?

Do know if your husband added the Borax? Because the PH is still too low....

Since the water is still clear, your chlorine results are in good shape. :goodjob:

Yes, now that I see it all together it does look odd. Maybe the earlier TA tests had the too-small-drops problem so it was incorrectly high? The amount of borax to add to increase pH varies with the TA so you need to get that right. Another reason for not doing the whole thing in one go, as well.
--paulr

Hello- I now have my own user name (yeah). I re-tested today and beleive I did the T/A wrong yesterday- I didn't wait for it to turn red- it just changed shades of green. Anyway- the pool is clear, 78 degrees and here are today's results. Jourdan did add Borax on Sunday.
It has been raining on & off today and will for the next few.
FC: 4
TC: 3
pH: 7.2
T/A: 180
CYA: 30

Please let me know what you suggest. Thanks much! Is there anything we should do to get the T/A levels down and is there anything special we should do because of the rain?

Thanks!

Kimberly

Hello- our pool is very clear. We are having a big heat wave, 90 yesterday & today- high 80's rest of the week.

Here was last night's results
FC= 2
CC= 0
PH= 8
TA= 180
CYA= 30
Temp= 84
we added 96 oz of bleach last night.

Questions for today: is there a way to lower the TA or is it ok?
Should I wait for the PH to come down or take care of it ASAP?
Also- when I was swimming last night, I was a bit itchy- could this be because of the PH & TA are so high?

Thank you!
Kimberly

After you lower the PH, you need to get your FC up. 2 is the lowest you want it, and if you don't increase it, you won't have enough of a residual by the end of the day. AT the start of the day you want at least 4, so that by the end of the day you are above 2. Does that make sense?

About the TA - high TA causes the PH to drift up. Every time you add muratic acid to lower the PH, the TA will get a little lower too. So everytime the PH hits 7.8, lower it back down to 7.2 with muratic acid. Eventually the TA level will get to the recommended range, and the PH will stabilize.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.