TA/PH high

May 24, 2008
Laughlin NV
I have been fighting PH since we got the pool but this year it seams to be twice as bad.

FC 3
PH 7.8
TA 280
CYA 40 thinking of bumping it to 50
temp 85*
are the latest numbers

a week ago the numbers where
FC 3
PH 8.2 as high as my kit can test
TA 350
CYA 40

my fill water has a TA of 180.

The prob is i can not get the PH to drop below 7.8 even after adding dry acid bottle says 12oz in a 10,000gal pool should drop the PH from 7.9-8.0 to 7.4 seeing as i have a 6000gal pool i have been useing 6oz wich i know is alittle less then they say. I test 30 minutes after adding the acid to the pool and it wil not drop below 7.8 but the TA is dropping.

all tests are useing the HTH kit from walmart (will be getting the TF kit soon)

Should i add more acid a once?

The higher the TA level, the more acid you need to get the same change in PH. Since your TA level is high, you need more acid than the packaging suggests.

You can certainly add a little more acid at one time, but don't go too far with that. You can get an idea of how much acid it will really take by using my Pool Calculator, see the link in my signature. Remember to enter your pool size, current TA level, the current PH, and your desired PH. For fairly large PH changes it is best to use perhaps half of the calculated amount, give it time to mix in, test the PH and adjust further from there. Otherwise you run a risk of overshooting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.