Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA/PH high

1. Back To Top    #1

TA/PH high

I have been fighting PH since we got the pool but this year it seams to be twice as bad.

FC 3
    PH 7.8
    TA 280
    CYA 40 thinking of bumping it to 50
    temp 85*
    are the latest numbers

a week ago the numbers where
    FC 3
    PH 8.2 as high as my kit can test
    TA 350
    CYA 40

my fill water has a TA of 180.

The prob is i can not get the PH to drop below 7.8 even after adding dry acid bottle says 12oz in a 10,000gal pool should drop the PH from 7.9-8.0 to 7.4 seeing as i have a 6000gal pool i have been useing 6oz wich i know is alittle less then they say. I test 30 minutes after adding the acid to the pool and it wil not drop below 7.8 but the TA is dropping.

all tests are useing the HTH kit from walmart (will be getting the TF kit soon)

Should i add more acid a once?
    6,000 gal. IG FG pool Sta-Rite max-e-pro 3/4hp
    Sta-Rite system 2 cart. filter
    Sta-Rite 200k BTU heater
    Tiger River Bengal spa

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: TA/PH high

You will do no harm by continuing to add dry acid until your pH is where you want it.....7.4 would be perfect but 7.8 is not bad....just don't get in the 8>'s
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: TA/PH high

The higher the TA level, the more acid you need to get the same change in PH. Since your TA level is high, you need more acid than the packaging suggests.

You can certainly add a little more acid at one time, but don't go too far with that. You can get an idea of how much acid it will really take by using my Pool Calculator, see the link in my signature. Remember to enter your pool size, current TA level, the current PH, and your desired PH. For fairly large PH changes it is best to use perhaps half of the calculated amount, give it time to mix in, test the PH and adjust further from there. Otherwise you run a risk of overshooting.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School