Heater still too loud?

jonmar

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 29, 2009
After my neighbor's HVAC guy said our heater sounded like it was getting too much gas, I called the gas guy that did the install to come over and check it. I left him the installation manual for the heater. He said the pressure should be 3.5, whatever that means. Anyhow, he came by while I was at work and the heater still sounds loud. When I say loud, it can be heard from within my house. It is a constant low rumbling that can be heard while near the wall it is outside of. It is louder than our pump. I called the PB and he said it could have something to do with the water flow. Can anyone give an idea of how loud it should be and if gas flow is the only potential problem.

So I read my manual and it says my heater needs between 1.80-2.0 W.C. gas pressure. The non LoNox Hayward needs 3.5 W.C. I pointed this out to the PB and he says the gas guy checked the pressure and it was fine. I think the gas guy is used to installing the regular heaters and not the LoNox. Does this sound like I have discovered the Cadbury Secret? They say someone from Hayward is coming to check it tomorrow.

I'm not an expert by any means but that sounds way too loud, I've had gas and now a heat pump and neither have been that obnoxious.

I don't know what a PB is but I can tell you from a lot of experience that you should have the job checked out by someone that did not do the install. The original installer will never find anything wrong with his work (and admit to it). If that fails, I would get the noise level measured and contact the mfg, retailer and installer and ask them to confirm (in writing) that this is normal operation or you will be forced to either have them replace or remove it.

Hayward service guy came by today and said all the gas pressure levels were fine as far as inputs etc. He clocked the meter and said that was fine too. He did say there was a drop in pressure from the meter to my heater of 2 inches W.C., and that it should only be about 1. He said the good news was it was being over fired, but that it was being under fired. Said he would report his finding back to Hayward and would likely be back next Tuesday. He didn't say whether we could use the heater though. Any thoughts?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.