Testing and start up new pool

Kimkats, yes I have both the TF-100 and Taylor K-1766 salt test kits but pool hasn't been filled yet. Will test fill water and confirm back. We just picked waterline tile and are laying out decking after holiday. Hope we're not too far off. Appreciate the guidance.

They started setting our new equipment pad today. Seems Pentair may have updated the design of their UltraTemp 120R H/C units. PB also updated our specs from IntelliFlo 011018 to newer IntelliFlo 2 VST model. Still need to mount EasyTouch 4 and install IntelliChlor IC60 and ScreenLogic2.

We have 2 skimmers and 4 returns, each home run back to the pad with a shutoff valve. Will ask PB to label the pipes later after startup.

9e6212e25c1c2b2773598e876bf28ca9.jpg
9e6212e25c1c2b2773598e876bf28ca9.jpg
d4b91921ca46b8746bddf2a8fa813af7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great suggestion. Still to be done: Diamond Brite Super Blue quartz plaster, fill, start up/balance and some serious spring landscaping.

Oddly our Sand Buff Kool Deck appeared beige as it should when applied and has somehow become white? Not sure how it happens but PB will need to address.
02aafcf52efd78038b944275939a61ae.jpg
295d1f45b6ef16752e47cf7663a75324.jpg

Kim, our PB think it's the "adhesive" from the Kool Decking bleeding thru. Apparently an adhesive was applied because of the temperature the KD was being applied in. Is going to attempt to pressure wash the powdery residue on the surface tomorrow and go from there. More to follow.

I sure hope so and am glad he is trying to "fix" it. Now to be on the safe side do NOT sign off on the job until it has had a chance to dry and sit for a couple of days to see what happens then. We had one build where they "fixed" the stain only to have the rain wash the "fix" off the next week. A very sad time for the PO :(

Kim:kim:

Are now filling pool from hose. My tests from our fill water are as follows. Please note this is my first ever test.

FC: 1
CC: 0
CYA: 0
TA: 160
CH: 150
PH: 8.2

I have a set of links for you. I share these with all new pool owners:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

It is a LOT of info. so take it slow. The one I really want you to look at right now is the recommended levels.

I also have this link for you BUT run it by your PB as he is the one holding the warranty card!

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

Note the no swimming depends on what start up is used. Do what your PB says about swimming.

Kim:kim:

Thanks for the links. PB started filling the pool Fri. @ 9:30 am. Wasn't there to note my water meter reading as planned. Pool has been filling non-stop with a single hose now for over 24 hrs. The hose was simply placed on the floor of the deep end. The surface is Diamond Brite Super Blue color.

I've done the 5 gallon water test and calculated my fill rate @ 3.8 gpm. If it's 20-24K gal would expect it to be done sometime tomorrow.

There are no chemicals at all in the pool right now. No official startup of any kind has been done and no equipment running since water level not reached.

Will fwd that start-up plaster link to PB and asked whether they are using Traditional or Acid start-up method.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Provided PB with plaster startup link provided. Has been raining while filling. Worms have found their way into the pool this weekend. Have new, light plaster (Diamond Brite Super Blue). Had to let PB know in case there's a risk of staining. Haven't been provided a skimmer net or vacuum yet and seeing their dark silhouettes on the pool bottom isn't helping my OCD [emoji51]

Kimkats, PB started up pool earlier this week and took care of it. Fortunately no stains. Though they have experience with more extreme cases of worms in covered pool over season. Made me feel somewhat better.

Kimkats,

OK. After first week of new plaster the PB has turned pool over to me. 22,500 gal. Water temp consistently 50F this winter.

Chlorine, 0
pH, 7.2
Calcium Hardness, 150 ppm
Total Alkalinity, 80
CYA, 0

Am not planning to install salt chlorinator until March or April when water temp sufficient.

Any advice you can provide as next step, am learning. Got pH from 8.2 to 7.5 overnight. And down to 7.2 between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm today (by adding 2 pints of acid)

The water is likely too aggressive and at risk for etching. You need to either get the pH up or the CH up or both really. CH should be 250 ppm and I would raise PH up to 7.6 or so. PoolMath will give your CSI number after you enter all your test results, it needs to be between -0.6 and +0.6. -0.3 to +0.3 is better. More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling

Poolmath saying to:

1.) add 29 oz of soda ash to get to 7.5 pH - I'll check pH tomorrow, it has been high and will likely raise on its own
2.) add 333 oz by weight or 266
Oz of calcium chloride - which is it? Where do you get this?
3.) add 120 oz or 125 oz stabilizer? Or 311 oz liquid stabilizer?

More about pool chems and what they are and how to add them to your pool, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

One is weight and one is volume. You can use a kitchen scale to measure weight or a measuring cup to measure volume. Granular stabilizer is quite a bit cheaper than liquid and works just as well. I buy mine at Lowes. You can probably also get deicer at Lowes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.