Frustrated balancing pool - please help!

May 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I just received my new TF100 test kit in the mail. Here are my readings:

FC 1.0
CC 0.5
TA 330
CH 310
CYA ,20 (disappeared at top level of CYA tube)
PH 7.8 (with basic test kit)

I was disappointed that TF100 didn't come with a good Ph test, and that I just had to use the basic test for that.

Here's my frustration: We recently refilled the pool (to get rid of super high CYA), and noticed that our tap water has a very high TA. So I slowly started adding Muriatic Acid to bring it down (using the pool school method). I thought I finally had the TA down to about 130, but then according to my new test kit, it's at 330!!! Of course each time I have to top off my pool at all, my TA will go up. Will I just always have to be dumping a bunch of Muriatic Acid into my pool, after I top off???
I have been reading about Borates, and am considering adding those. But with splash out, backwash, and evaporation, my TA will just keep going up. (from topping off) I read that with Borates it's harder to lower your TA. So then it will be really hard to lower it, right?
I have some swimmers coming over this afternoon, so before I can shock to take care of my CC, I just added 2 Quarts of Bleach, to just nudge the FC up a bit. I plan to shock the pool tonight.
I know that I need to add more CYA, since it's fairly low, and will do that as soon as I can get some stabilizer at the pool store later this week.

I guess i am just hoping to get some advice from others who have high TA tap water. I would hate to always have to be adding more Muriatic Acid.

Just for fun I thought I would do a TA test on my tap water:
TA 750 --- is that even possible??? Or am I doing the test wrong? I tried to be super precise.

So far I have added 6 gallons of Muriatic acid (slowly, over time) which according to the pool calcumlator should have lowered my TA by 207. The math would come out to
Tap water TA 750 - Muratic Acid adjustment 207 = 543 supposed TA... but it's at 330 right now..

Also, a few weeks ago I had my water tested at the pool store, and they told me I had a TA of 200 (I know those aren't super reliable, but you would think the results would be kind of close). That was also 3 gallons of Muriatic acid ago (meaning, since that test, I have added another 3 gallons).

So... am I doing the test wrong? Or does my water have freakish high TA? (it feels really soft, and we live out in the country, it might be well water, but we get it through the city...)

Help Please!

Some of the dropper bottles can have static electricity problems that make the drops super small. Wiping them like FPM says will help that.

jefeyessica said:
I was disappointed that TF100 didn't come with a good Ph test, and that I just had to use the basic test for that.
That's pretty much the only reasonable pH test, far as I know. The main difference between different kits is the set of color blocks (the Taylors have 5, I have another kit with 6). There are some electronic meters but they have to be recalibrated periodically, not really worth the money.
--paulr

jefeyessica said:
I just retested, and came up with TA 160. Much better!! Thank you!
I guess the droplets were too small before??

Oh yea, 160 TA is much better.

Sure sounds like the drops were too small. Be sure to remember the wipe-tip-with-damp-cloth-in-between-drops technique next time you test. :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.