Question on converting to cholrine from baqucil

Jun 9, 2009
I have an 18 x 33 AG oval pool, it holds according to pool store 14,019 gallons of water, I just had my water tested and the readings are:

FC: .1ppm
Total Chlorine .8ppm
PH: 7.6
Hardness: 206ppm
Alkalinity: 63ppm
Cyanuric Acid: 0ppm
Copper: 0ppm
Iron: 0ppm
Total Dissolved solids: 1100 ppm
Phosphate: 0
Biguanide: 0
Water type is Well Water

The pool dealer told us to add shock (2lbs - Cal. Hypochlorite =52%, Min. Available Cholirine 49%) to the pool so we did, now the pool water is very hazy with a greenish tent. I have been working with them since the end of april and I am ready to pull out my hair as they keep selling products with no results or unexpected results. I would like to know if you can offer any advice to get the water cleared up by Saturday June 13th as we have a Graduation Party and of course they would like to swim.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

I would start by lowering your PH a little to between 7.2 and 7.4. Then it is time to stock up on bleach or liquid chlorine. Check around in your area and see if the pool stores carry liquid chlorine and what it costs and compare to bleach at places like WalMart and Aldis. Since your biguanide level is already zero, you won't need as much chlorine as some of the other people on here, but still you will need a fair bit.

Read the article JohnT linked to, and read some of the other conversion stories. If you have any questions just ask. There are lots of people around here happy to answer questions.

How tall is your pool? I also have a 18X33 above ground pool. Mine is 54 in tall and it holds around 15,700 gallons of water. This might make a difference in how much chlorine you need to shock your pool if it is as tall as mine. Take your water back to pool store and have it tested for chlorine level, then go home and calculate on the pool calculator on this sight how much chlorine you need to add. This depends also on the strength of the chlorine. The pool calculator is pretty simple to use. I converted from bacquacil last year and got a good test kit from this site before I started and have only been back to the pool store to get socks for my skimmer and a pressure gauge. Have not regretted it and saved $$$$.

Good luck with you conversion
Susan

I didn't have a test kit, although I wish I'd ordered mine before I started to convert. Anyway, I did use my strips that measure FC to see what it was if it was below 10 and then I used the pool calculator on this site to figure out how much bleach I needed to add each time. The pool calculator saved me! As soon as I am done with work, I will become a TFP supporter. I spent a lot on bleach, but the two pool stores were killing me. I got different advise from both stores and neither worked as well as TFP! If you can do the bleach thing 3-4 times per day it goes much quicker as I've learned. It was worth coming home for lunch yesterday and adding bleach. Today I can finally see the bottom of my pool. See my "thread" topic, whatever you call it with photos this week. I think it something like, started a conversion last sunday.

Good luck to you,
horsegal

Thank you to all for your responses, it is nice to know I am not alone. When I started with the pool place my bac level was at 85, it has taken a while to get the pool back to what I would call normal, I will use the advice and purchase a test kit as well as using the pool calculator. This website is great!

To answer the question asked my pool is also 54 inches tall.

Thanks again to all! I will let you all know how it goes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.