How much time do you put into your TFP daily...

Feb 2, 2008
Northwest Indiana
I ran into someone at the pool store that was complaining that they wanted an easy method of pool care. After listening to her spout to the salesman about this he was telling her about this and that and these pucks and this liquid...after he left her alone to ponder...I approached and told her to put down the N2...and explained why...especially the $90 dollar cartridge that needs to be replaced each spring...I said your just throwin your money away. Anyway she asked me what I sugested...I said it is simple...I use bleach, or liquid chlorine...don't you have to always add bleach everyday she asked...I said sure. Isn't that expensive, and time consuming she asked. I said I will be honest with you. Other than the weekend I opened my pool which I spent a lot of time cleaning and balancing water. I spend maybe 10 minutes a day caring for my pool other than when I vacuume the bottom...then maybe an hour...She said doesn't your water turn green, or get all slimey...I said no...As long as I sanitize and keep my FC up around 5-7 ppm it is good to go at any time. She thought i was nuts about the 5-7 ppm. Doesn't that hurt your kids eyes...I asked my son...your eyes ever get irritated? He smiled and said no. I told the lady that your eyes only hurt when you have too much combined chlorine or chlorine that has done the job but is now combined with dead stuff. If you keep the chlorine level up it doesn't stink or burn or damage clothes. She was dumbfounded...Then she went on to pay over $100 for the Crud pool guy told her to buy. So that got me to thinking...with testing and adding chems...how much time does everyone else spend on their pools???

5 minutes would be a lot of time for me except when I vacuum about once a week. Maybe a minute or two to test the water and another minute to skim the bugs that haven't made their way to the skimmer or rescue a frog from the skimmer.

My pool is pretty stable, I test the chlorine and pH two times during the week. On the weekend I brush the pool surfaces, vacuum and clean the skimmer. Also on the weekends I test chlorine, pH and TA. Once a month I clean the filter cartridge, pump basket and run pool water back through the air piping on my therapy jets. I would say on average I spend lees then 5 minutes per day.

I have an AutoPilot Total Control system, so I spend about 1 minute checking how the water looks and cleaning the skimmer once a day, then about 20 minutes putting the cleaning robot in and taking it out again about once a week.

I have been on the BBB for a couple weeks now. I spend somewhere between 5-10 minutes each day paying attention to the pool. Any more time than that is because I am eating an apple or playing with the dogs. But 5-10 minutes is it. I vacum, backwash and brush the walls once a week (I actually vacumed while I was in the pool this weekend, so that counts as swimming not working :mrgreen: ). It has not taken very long to get acustomed to chlorinating using BBB. I use the pool calculator on my blackberry, so I get my numbers right there while I am standing by the pool. No back and forths, inside outside. If I miss testing in the evenings, I just work it into my morning routine.....while I am drinking my first cup o coffee. Most importantly, it has helped me make the adjustment into spending a brief amount of time with my pool EACH day. Something I did not do in the past & my family appriciates it for sure.

sS

scubasteve said:
I have been on the BBB for a couple weeks now. I spend somewhere between 5-10 minutes each day paying attention to the pool. Any more time than that is because I am eating an apple or playing with the dogs. But 5-10 minutes is it. I vacum, backwash and brush the walls once a week (I actually vacumed while I was in the pool this weekend, so that counts as swimming not working :mrgreen: ). It has not taken very long to get acustomed to chlorinating using BBB. I use the pool calculator on my blackberry, so I get my numbers right there while I am standing by the pool. No back and forths, inside outside. If I miss testing in the evenings, I just work it into my morning routine.....while I am drinking my first cup o coffee. Most importantly, it has helped me make the adjustment into spending a brief amount of time with my pool EACH day. Something I did not do in the past & my family appriciates it for sure.

sS

don't have a blackberry...But i do have a piece of paper in my test kit, that has the calculations for 6% 10% and 12.5% bleach and how much 32 ounces raises FC and 64 ounces and so on. It took a little more time to write down...but my paperberry pool calc works well!!!I just have to keep it dry...and well so do you don't ya :lol: :cheers: but is sure helps having the calculations right there.

Beave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Personally, I spend about 1 to 5 minutes per day. I use test strips during the week and my full test kit on the weekend. I brush and vacuum on the weekend. Takes about 1 hour on the weekends. Works for me.

It takes more time for me to go into Wally World and buy bleach one day, then it does for me to maintain my pool for the week.

I'd say testing and adding only takes 5 minutes at most. And I only do it every two days. I'm sure this will go up when the use picks up.

But I've noticed my pool usually requires one jug per two days if we don't have any rain, and the pool doesn't get used. So sometimes I skip the test completely if these conditions are met.

Also it's nice not having any trees around. So vacuuming only has to be done once every two weeks. But that's assuming good weather, and low usage.

SWG here too, so maybe 5 minutes max checking the skimmer and swapping out the skimmer sock. I test FC, CC and pH every other day or every third day or so. I spend much more time trying to keep the flora and fauna watered around the place.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.