Questions about replacing pump

May 15, 2009
Blue Springs, MO
Is it pretty easy to replace a pool pump yourself. I'm fairly handy, and it looks as easy as disconnecting/reconnecting the two plumbing connections, and wiring the new pump in. I can handle that, but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking something.

The outside is pretty rusted up so I can't read the model information, but it looks very similar to this Sta-Rite Dura-Glas series pump
https://store.pinchapenny.com/products/images/large/00000422.jpg

Do I need to replace with the same brand/style of pump, or are all pumps going to hook up to the same plumbing set up? I read the article in the Pool School about pump size and it looks like I need a 1/2 HP single speed pump or a 1 HP two-speed pump for my 20k gal inground pool.

Any recommendations on brand, single speed vs multi speed, where to buy?

Thanks!

I'd be reluctant to go with a 1/2HP pump on your pool. I'd be concerned that you might not get sufficient suction for vacuuming. I have a very similarly sized pool, and I feel that my 1HP pump is just right. I could probably see a 3/4HP as well. The ideal pump would be a two-speed. I'm seriously considering a Whisperflo 1HP Two-speed when I need a new pump.

Reading more about the multi-speed pumps and it sounds like they really can be a significant cost savings in the long run. The whisperflo 1HP two speed you mentioned looks like a pretty good option.

I was looking at the 1 HP intelliflow also, but I don't know if I can justify spending over $1k on the pump. Does anyone here have the intelliflow pump? Was it worth it?

I'm like you. I can't see the extra money for the Intelliflo. In high power cost areas like California, I think it makes a lot of sense, but in my area it would take a long time to see a difference in a two-speed and the Intelliflo.

I'm going to order the 1 hp dual speed pentair pump (011486) in the next few days, can anyone recommend a good online dealer? The best price I can find in 570.00 including s/h, no tax and that's from poolsonly.com.

Thanks

I just ordered from poolwharehouse.net last night. I got the whisperflow 2 speed up-rated 1.5 HP (WFDS-26) for $535 + $8 handling. I'll post back here when I get it.

They have the up-rated 1.5 HP and the full rated 1 HP (WFDS-4), but the full rated 1HP is about $100 more. From what I read here and looking at the service factors on the pumps, they are the exact same pump.

The full rated is 1 HP with a service factor of 1.65, and the up-rated is 1.5 HP with a service factor of 1.1

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.