Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I ask them to leave after salt??

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I ask them to leave after salt??

I'm hoping my pool equipment will be up and running at the end of the week, barring any rain.
    My contract has Phos-free and start-up chemicals????? I called to ask specifics and they said I would probably have to use an algaecide since some water has been sitting in the pool since last Wed.
    My tap water test is
    pH 7
    CL 1
    TA 60
    CH 110
    My question is, should I just have them put in the salt and turn eqipment on and LEAVE!!!
    I've plugged in the numbers to Pool Calc, so I think I know what I need to go and buy. With y'alls help I think I can do this on my own.
    I just kon't want them putting anything in my pool that will mess me up.
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should I ask them to leave after salt??

You don't want to do anything that will interfere with your warranty coverage. If you want to do the startup yourself, double check with them that it won't void the warranty, before proceeding. If they are fine with it, then by all means do it yourself.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Didn't I read somewhere that algaecide had metals in it??? I was just thinkng of shocking with bleach. I'm sure I will need to since 3' of water has been sitting 7 days.
    I don't want to void my warranty, but I don't want them putting stuff in there that I will have to try and get rid of later.
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

4. Back To Top    #4

There are several kinds of algaecide, some have copper, some have silver, some foam, some are alright (polyquat).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I wouldn't imagine that avoiding algaecide would cause warranty problems any more than I would worry that adding bleach to sitting water would.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks 257WhyMag. I am not going to let them put any metals in my pool, period
    Lynn

7. Back To Top    #7

No problem. Good advice from Jason though. Just be sure that there aren't any chemicals to avoid in your warranty before proceeding. In the end though, chlorine is chlorine and your water will need some anyway.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

8. Back To Top    #8

Hi Lynn I'm glad you are so close to swimming

The only algicide you should use with your SWCG is the polyquat - you don't want the metals that some algicides have and the linear quat we use (ammonia based) causes a sheet of fine foamy crust on the surface of the pool when the salt is ~1500ppm or higher

You will want to let them add a metal to the pool, calcium to protect the gelcoat.

As long as the SWCG is operating properly, you shouldn't need any algicide, I'd keep some poly 60 on hand for winterizing or if you go on vacation.

Have you posted any pics yet?
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

9. Back To Top    #9

Go to orthofish's pool build Ted.
    I knew I was going to need some calcium chloride cause my tap CH is110.
    Lynn

10. Back To Top    #10

When you say have some Poly 60 around, how much is some????
    Lynn

11. Back To Top    #11

A quart should be enough for 2 doses

Now I'm off to go check out your pics 8)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks Ted.
    Lynn

13. Back To Top    #13

I plugged in my #'s and the PC says i need 31lbs. of calcium chloride and 16lbs. of stabilizer.
    Went to Wally World all excited about getting my "stuff" Well I got the baking soda, bleach, and Borax without any trouble. Went to the pool section and began reading labels Dichlor,trichlor,stabilizer for small pools, trichlor-s-triazinatrone?, stuff with 20-30% other ingredients, no polyquat 60
    Needless to say I left that isle with nothing in my buggy.
    Can somebody go to Wally World with me?

Tap water #'s at top of this thread.
    Lynn

14. Back To Top    #14

walmart isn't going to have polyquat 60.
    do you have a pool store around? if so, which one(s)?
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

15. Back To Top    #15

Only Swim World.
    They had 4lbs. stabilizer for $16. I've never bought chemicals before, so I don't know if that is good or bad. If I had to guess, coming from a pool store it would be bad.
    The only good thing about it was it said it was CYA, plain and simple. The stuff at Walmart just confused me.
    I need it to be in black and white and no mumbo jumbo cutesy names. I'm not used to the terminology.

Hey Casey, Maybe somemore pics in the Visual Encyclopedia
    Lynn

16. Back To Top    #16

I couldn't find what chemicals they sell listed on their website, but just look for an algaecide product that says polyblahblahblah 60% and that will be it.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

17. Back To Top    #17

Thank you reebok
    Lynn

18. Back To Top    #18

In the Industry

http://store.pinchapenny.com/product/Ch ... e-00000441

It can be shipped directly to you.