Verizon Wireless - GRRRRRR....

taekwondodo

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 26, 2009
I'm just fuming right now -

I get laid off from my job, and as a result, decide to switch carriers and add myself to the "family plan" that the wife and kids are on with VZ and move my cell number over from ATT so we're all "in network" now - and save some cabbage in the process.

So I'm looking at phones and one application I had on my ATT Wireless BB that I absolutely loved was called BBtracker, it is a "3rd party" GPS software that allows you to use the blackberry's internal GPS to "track" your movements, store the track, and then export it to Google earth on your PC.

So, I can't make up my mind on which phone to get - but settle on a BB 8330 curve (with an integrated GPS) because, as the sales guy at the VZ store states with the BB, I can download 3rd party software onto it and ther are litterally HUNDREDS of applications available of all kinds.

What VZ doesn't tell you though is that they run "VZs own 'special' OS" for the BB that limits the use of the GPS in the $$$ you buy to work ONLY with their cr*ppy VZ navigator software - and NOT 3rd party applications that want to access the GPS in the hardware (and there's a lot of them in addition to BBtracker, like Google earth, yada yada....)

Now, I own a phone that has the hardware that isn't allowed to do what it should because the carrier I'm using wants to keep it locked so they can sell you their Nav package (which, even when you buy the nav package, still doesn't enable the GPS for additional applications), and I am locked into a 2 year contract!

Just thought people should know what VZ is NOT telling you with their deceptive marketing practices... and you can make your own mind up from there.

You have 30 days to return the phone if you don't like it. Also, talk to the store manager and tell him/her what you are upset about. Sometimes they can be helpful.

I just got the BB 8330 through Sprint and I can use the GPS through 3rd party apps. We found that the Sprint phones with all the features cost a whole lot less $$ overall than it would have been to stay with Verizon.

Verizon GPS are all locked except for the Storm.. Its a terrible thing because I have the Storm and my wife has the 8830 (Curve). You do have 30 days like someone mentioned.

Welcome To Verizon! :hammer:

I have been with VW since they sold the suitcase phones (80's).

I have the 8330 too, probably the best phone I've had since the motorola whatever it was called in the 90's. But as you have found out, VW is very selfish when it comes to what they will allow you to buy/put on the phone that YOU paid for. I put up with them only because of their coverage area otherwise I would have beat feet a long time ago.

I went back to the store that sold it to me and bitched at the manager.

He played stupid and continually dodged whether he knew that VZ locked out the GPS from other apps on the 8330. Wouldn't answer the question.

On the bright side, they did upgrade me to the Storm, which isn't locked out :D

- Jeff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.