Sooo, I walked into Leslie's and asked for some PhosFree

NeedMoreSun

LifeTime Supporter
Yes, I did.

I couldn't find it, and had to ask where it was. I then also got an earful about all the dangers of phosphates in a pool, followed by an offer to test my water for me so I'd know exactly how much of that evil stuff I actually had in my pool.

When I told him I was actually only looking for some cheap lanthanum chloride to cure some dry reef rock before putting it into my reef tank he just looked at me cross-eyed and thought I was joking. I asked if he could test that water, but he had no answer :(

Order SeaKlear Commercial Phosphate Remover by HaloSource from Amazon. It's higher concentration lanthanum chloride and doesn't have any additives. The PhosFree stuff is "weak sauce" and typically contains cheap clarifiers.

Hey Scott,
Funny stuff! I finally installed my heat pump a few weeks ago. Works great! Pics in my build thread. You won the great heat pump race by miles!!! :)

LOL, and I already have mine turned off for the Winter.

Thanks Matt! I know those who dose directly to the tank used something more pure and some in a powdered form they have to mix. I'm just pretreating some rock in a tote so measured amounts don't matter and needed it quick, but going to order some of that to have on hand for the future or if I do end up needing to dose it to the tank for awhile. It's a new 270 gallon setup so a few hundred pounds of rock are likely to leech phosphates for months :(

LOL, sure, once it's running. We had a 200 gallon in Wisconsin we had to tear down and just now getting another set up. Dang things cost more than a pool! The tank itself is custom made and then has to ship from Toronto to Florida and I don't expect it until the 1st of the year. Lots to do in the meantime to have things ready. Rock to cure, a new sub-panel and a couple circuits. In garage am setting up a reverse osmosis unit that will keep a 50 gallon container full and automatically replace evaporation in the tank and another 50 gallons of pre-mixed salt water that will automatically change a few gallons each night. For that to run from 30 feet away I'm now the proud owner of two Stenner pumps, one being a dual head. I have multiple small tanks to start housing a few initial smaller fish. Tank should be running by mid-January but only bare rock and some fish. I won't have any live coral growing until it's past the initial phosphate issues I'm trying to reduce in advance :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool water chemistry is soooo much easier!! But, then again, I don't live in my pool water 24/7....

Yes, please post pictures!!

Yes please post pics! I was a reef & salt tank enthusiast in my 20's. I'm in my 40's now. Just built my pool a moth ago and it lit my love for fish tanks again. So I bought a 90 gallon and started with African cichlids. Look forward to seeing your setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd love to see the tank too. I have 3 tanks I take care of for my granddaughter. One is a 40g with Bob the Betta, neons and Guppies with a couple bottom feeders. We have a 15g tank for AnTwon (our black n gold betta). I have a 10g for Red (I should have called him Prince! He's very beautiful!)

I joke about how opposite the pool n tanks are when caring for them.

Bob the Betta :) Many fine memories of bettas. In high school I bred bettas for income instead of a real job, even making the down payment and monthly payments on my '71 Mustang Convertible. With the cheap imports from Asia now it wouldn't pay off, but was great fun back then. I had a well over 50 tanks ranging from 5 to 30 gallons each set up in banks and mature fry ready to sell to the stores weekly. My Dad had a lot of fun (not) getting all the tanks and equipment sold off after I joined the Navy and left, lol.

Yes, I did.

I couldn't find it, and had to ask where it was. I then also got an earful about all the dangers of phosphates in a pool, followed by an offer to test my water for me so I'd know exactly how much of that evil stuff I actually had in my pool.

When I told him I was actually only looking for some cheap lanthanum chloride to cure some dry reef rock before putting it into my reef tank he just looked at me cross-eyed and thought I was joking. I asked if he could test that water, but he had no answer :(
Great story! LoL

[emoji106]

LOL, sure, once it's running. We had a 200 gallon in Wisconsin we had to tear down and just now getting another set up. Dang things cost more than a pool! The tank itself is custom made and then has to ship from Toronto to Florida and I don't expect it until the 1st of the year. Lots to do in the meantime to have things ready. Rock to cure, a new sub-panel and a couple circuits. In garage am setting up a reverse osmosis unit that will keep a 50 gallon container full and automatically replace evaporation in the tank and another 50 gallons of pre-mixed salt water that will automatically change a few gallons each night. For that to run from 30 feet away I'm now the proud owner of two Stenner pumps, one being a dual head. I have multiple small tanks to start housing a few initial smaller fish. Tank should be running by mid-January but only bare rock and some fish. I won't have any live coral growing until it's past the initial phosphate issues I'm trying to reduce in advance :)

A bit of automation and running pipes under the floor is well worth the effort. I had a 160g (4X2X2.5) with a drain, auto water change from a 300g outdoor tank and RO plumbed in. I had NSW delivered quarterly. If I were to do it again I'd go for solar tubes and a fish room or cupboard behind for all the gear - there's a lot of gear.

Edit: Now that photobucket is back up this is a pic of the equipment I had.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.