Poolidiot

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 31, 2007
Texas
Well I came home today and went to add bleach to my pool (didnt last night because we were having HEAVY rain) well when I got outside I noticed a green tint to my water :cry: And as I got to the pool I noticed my pump wasnt running (not sure if it stopped working today or last night) Will do better job of investigating the motor in the morning, but I think the motor is shot. I remember reading one time a formula that will tell you what size motor you need depending on the size of your pool. Can someone tell me what it is? OR tell me what size of motor I need? I have a 27' round AG pool.Thanks in advance :)

Ok no answer on motor size, BUT has anyone had this happen before? When I turn the pump on it trips the GFI outlet. I ran an cord from another GFI and it tripped it also. I disconnected the motor and brought it into the garage and plugged it into a normal outlet and it ran. I am thinking the motor has lost enough inductance to cause the
GFI to trip but not enough to trip breaker?

Did the motor get wet?

I used to have an above ground pump that would trip the GFI every time it rained. I would plug it into a non-gfi to let it run for a few minutes which would dry it out (I am assuming) and then it would be fine. Until the next rain.

Backglass said:
Did the motor get wet?

I used to have an above ground pump that would trip the GFI every time it rained. I would plug it into a non-gfi to let it run for a few minutes which would dry it out (I am assuming) and then it would be fine. Until the next rain.

It is outside and we have had lots of rain lately but it has been getting wet for 4 years. I will go run it awhile in the garage and then see if it still trips GFI.Just do not want to buy a new motor and it have the same problem :roll:

Poolidiot said:
Backglass said:
Did the motor get wet?

It is outside and we have had lots of rain lately but it has been getting wet for 4 years. I will go run it awhile in the garage and then see if it still trips GFI.Just do not want to buy a new motor and it have the same problem :roll:

Don't run it dry! Or else you will be in for a whole new set of problems! :shock:

I used to run an extension cord to the non-GFI to dry it out while connected to the pool. Of course this is by-passing the safety features of the GFI so be extra careful.

Well tried drying it out but still trips GFI, guess I am off to buy a new motor :twisted: I am planning on buying a 3/4 hp. My old pump does not have the HP on it, but my 6-way valve on the sand filter says 60 gpm

Ok I bought a motor BUT it does not fit my motor base SOOOOO I am going to take it back and order one online. My question is, would you go with a 1 speed (which is what my old one is ) or a 2 speed? And if 2 speed what do you do as far as running your pump? And for those that use a 2 speed, do you periodically change the speed? How often and what for? I am going to have to temp my old motor back up (without GFI protection) to keep water filtering while I wait for my new pump. Any help gladly taken :lol:

A two speed motor is a great thing, it saves money in the long run and adds flexibility. With a two speed you need to run it twice as long on low speed to get the same circulation as high speed, but even running twice as long it will cost only a little more than half as much and clean the water a little better compared to high speed.

A typical way to use a two speed motor is to run it on low speed most of the time, but manually switch to high speed when vacuming. Vacuming, and pressure/suction side cleaners, and priming solar panels often won't work on low speed. Another approach is to run on high speed when in spa mode, or when the waterfall/etc is on, and low speed the rest of the time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You need something to control the speed. Some of the pumps have a switch right on the pump, others need to be wired to an external switch. Some people wire them into their remote control systems so thay can switch everything with the remote.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.