Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Piping reduction

1. Back To Top    #1

Piping reduction

I have a question about my system. I'm having a couple of leaking issues and feel now is the time to replace the filter from DE to sand. Anyhow, I've noticed that I have two inch piping from the spa and pool to the pump (1.5hp motor). Two inch piping out of the pump to a two way valve. One side of the valve reduces down to 1 1/2" through a filter to the pool sweeper and I believe it is 2" piping to the DE filter. Out of the filter is 1 1/2" piping to the heater and then through a two-way valve to the spa and pool, all of which is 1 1/2" piping. My question is why go from 2" to 1 1/2" piping? Is it because of the pool sweeper line? I'm thinking of changing to a sand filter with a 6-way valve and was wondering if I should go with the 1 1/2" valve or do I need to use the 2"? Also, my current DE filter is 48 sqft., is a 30" (about 500lb sand, hayward S310S) necessary or can I go with a 24" (about 300lb sand, hayward, S224S?).
    21k gal, plaster IG pool with spa
    Main - 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 3 returns, Spa - 1 drain, 4 returns
    WhisperFlo Dual Speed WFDS 1.5 HP pump
    S310S 30" sand filter
    Polaris 360 pressure cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Piping reduction

The plumber probably did what he did because it was convienent. You can basically use any size pipe you want but you may need to have reducers/expanders to handle the size changes for the equipment. I usually recommend using either 2" or 2 1/2" on the pad but you can also go with 1 1/2" if it makes it easier to install although head loss will be higher.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater