Jet eye missing and filter pressure

May 24, 2009
Kennewick, WA
When I winterized my pool, the ring holding the eye in place was broken. Before I replace it, I'm trying to get a good idea of what the function is. Is this only for directing the flow?

The first few days after I opened I just ran without it, but then I heard the main reason it's there is to build pressure in the filter. So, I took my homemade PVC cap I used for winterizing and drilled a diagonal 1" hole. I angeled this upwards for maximum aeration. Now the water is balanced properly and I don't need the aeration, I'm looking at fixing this. Do I really need to?

What pressure should my filter be running at? It's only at 4-5 psi right now and that seems awfully low to me. Is this due to my homemade jet? There is a ball valve between the filter and the return. I can close it partially to raise the psi. Is this a good idea?

tanikir said:
When I winterized my pool, the ring holding the eye in place was broken. Before I replace it, I'm trying to get a good idea of what the function is. Is this only for directing the flow?

The first few days after I opened I just ran without it, but then I heard the main reason it's there is to build pressure in the filter. So, I took my homemade PVC cap I used for winterizing and drilled a diagonal 1" hole. I angeled this upwards for maximum aeration. Now the water is balanced properly and I don't need the aeration, I'm looking at fixing this. Do I really need to?

What pressure should my filter be running at? It's only at 4-5 psi right now and that seems awfully low to me. Is this due to my homemade jet? There is a ball valve between the filter and the return. I can close it partially to raise the psi. Is this a good idea?

The eyeball speeds up the flow and allows you to aim it to improve circulation. Raising the pressure is not good on its own, so closing the valve won't do anything but reduce the flow through your pool's circulation system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.