TA & Borates

May 24, 2009
Kennewick, WA
I'm planning on adding borates and I lowered my TA to 70 in preparation. I had the water tested at the pool store for CYA (it's 61) and they pointed out the adjusted TA is only 57. Do I need to bring this back up before adding the borates? Which number matters, the TA or adjusted TA?

Your TA is fine and you can use The Pool Calculator to calculate the saturation index. If it's low and you have a plaster pool, then you can always increase Calcium Hardness (CH) or target a somewhat higher pH to compensate. It looks like you've got an above-ground pool which is probably vinyl so the saturation index isn't as important so the low TA is just fine.

The Borates will help stabilize your pH. The only reason you'd want a higher TA was if you were using an acidic source of chlorine such as Trichlor pucks/tabs but I suspect your using chlorinating liquid or bleach where a lower TA is better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.