Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA & Borates

1. Back To Top    #1

TA & Borates

I'm planning on adding borates and I lowered my TA to 70 in preparation. I had the water tested at the pool store for CYA (it's 61) and they pointed out the adjusted TA is only 57. Do I need to bring this back up before adding the borates? Which number matters, the TA or adjusted TA?
    18x18 Round AG, 8000 Gallons, PacFab Superflow PF-50 200 lb Sand Filter (new sand), 3/4 hp Magnatek Centurian
    BBB Method

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TA & Borates

Your TA is fine and you can use The Pool Calculator to calculate the saturation index. If it's low and you have a plaster pool, then you can always increase Calcium Hardness (CH) or target a somewhat higher pH to compensate. It looks like you've got an above-ground pool which is probably vinyl so the saturation index isn't as important so the low TA is just fine.

The Borates will help stabilize your pH. The only reason you'd want a higher TA was if you were using an acidic source of chlorine such as Trichlor pucks/tabs but I suspect your using chlorinating liquid or bleach where a lower TA is better.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: TA & Borates

Here at TFP, we always use TA numbers directly from the test kit. All of the Pool School articles assume TA numbers are straight from the test kit.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School