Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: More Ammonia problems (as if last year wasn't enough)

1. Back To Top    #1

More Ammonia problems (as if last year wasn't enough)

Again,I've got CC in the pool.Started out great , water really turned clear quickly, couple of set back days due to large rains here in Jersey.
    my numbers are for 33k inground vinyl liner pool.

FC 2
    CC 3
    Ph 7.5
    Alk 200
    CYA 50

I want to start adding in bleach tomorow , how much ? the ratio is 10ppm of Chlorine to 1ppm of Ammonia ? I did the test strip ammonia test which only goes up to 6ppm, it got green (indicating 6 ppm of Ammonia) How much do I add at a time so I won't kill mi vinyl liner ?
    THANKS
    33,000 Vinyl Liner IG Pool, Hayward Sand Filter,Hayward Superflo Pump,Auto Pilot Dig 220 w/RC-52 cell, Polaris 9300xi cleaner. 4 wheel Pressure PoolCleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: More Ammonia problems (as if last year wasn't enough)

With CYA at 50, your FC shock level is 16. The highest I would go in a single addition is FC of 25. So you want to raise the FC level up to 25 as frequently as possible, as often as once every half hour at first, less often once your FC level starts partially holding after half an hour. The reaction will slow down significantly about half way through, at that point you should switch back to aiming for an FC level of 16 and add chlorine even less frequently (but still at least once a day).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for you reply, It's bringing back memories from last year.I picked up an Ammonia drop test kit in Petsmart, turned dark green indicating between 4 and 8 ppm in the pool .I'm going to shock it Thursday , when I have most of the day off .I'm going to shoot for a FC of 18 , so I will start with 6 Jugs of 182 oz Bleach. I have a few questions :
    A) Should I leave the filter on "filter" or "recirculate" ?
    B)After initial dose , how long should I wait before I test the FC level ?
    C) How long do I wait after "top off" the FC level to test again ?
    THANKS
    33,000 Vinyl Liner IG Pool, Hayward Sand Filter,Hayward Superflo Pump,Auto Pilot Dig 220 w/RC-52 cell, Polaris 9300xi cleaner. 4 wheel Pressure PoolCleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

As it's ammonia, not algae, seems like there wouldn't be particulates to filter out, so recirculate ought to be fine. The usual suggestion is to wait an hour after adding chlorine to see where the new FC is, to give it adequate chance to disperse. I seem to remember the ammonia reaction is pretty quick, though, maybe one of the more experienced hands could say whether a shorter interval would be okay.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

5. Back To Top    #5

I would go ahead and test hourly at first, see if it's holding.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks everyone for your help ! I started the day with 24 182 oz jugs of Clorox 6% Bleach , dumped in 7 , then more throughout the day .I have 5 left
    The FC was at 6.5 tonight , the CC was .5 . Ammonia test shows .25ppm of Ammonoia still. I added in 3 jugs to bring the FC up again to 16, and letting the filter run overnight. I'll test it in the morning , pool looks ssoooooo much clearer . if it stays at CC of .5 is that bad to leave and shouyld I try for no CC ? Can I leave a drop of Ammonia (.25) and let it be or will it attach to polutants in the pool and become stronger again?
    THANKS

7. Back To Top    #7

You continue until the FC level remains the same, or only goes down slightly, overnight. At that point there won't be any ammonia left in the pool, regardless of what the ammonia test says. Ammonia and chlorine can't co-exist, one wipes out the other.

Having 0.5 or less of CC is fine. Pools often have just a tiny bit of CC in them.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Just tested the pool. FC is 10. CC is 0. Ph is 7.2. Alk 170 what can I use to raise ph and not raise Alk ?

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue30
    Just tested the pool. FC is 10. CC is 0. Ph is 7.2. Alk 170 what can I use to raise ph and not raise Alk ?
    Borax. Or, you could just wait and let it rise on its own? Aeration, kids splashing, etc. will raise the pH.

It would be helpful if you would list your pool/equipment specs in your sig. Go to User Control Panel, upper left under TFP logo, then Profile, then Edit sig.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Its going to rain a whole weekend here. Won't that further reduce the Ph ?

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue30
    Its going to rain a whole weekend here. Won't that further reduce the Ph ?
    um, guess that depends on the type of rain you have. Here's a recent thread on the impact of rain on your water balance:

impact-of-rain-on-water-balance-t13700.html
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Just curious, where does your ammonia come from?
    Kids, rain, cya....

At any rate I wonder if more water aeration using aerators, fountain etc would help retard the ammonia build up.
    IG 24k plaster with overflow spa. Goldline PS-8 SWG. Tristar 0.75 HP filter pump, Polaris 280, large cartridge filter, 400k BTU NG Max-E-Therm HD, SR Smith Turbo Twister, Life Saver pool fence, ORP managed.

13. Back To Top    #13

The ammonia most likely comes from bacteria converting CYA into ammonia. This can happen if the FC gets to zero allowing the bacteria to grow. The conversion can happen rather quickly -- in my own pool it seemed that about 20 ppm CYA got converted to ammonia in just 3-4 days (as described in this thread, but my pool is rather rich in nutrients for bacteria and algae (so is rather unforgiving if the FC gets too low relative to CYA).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

14. Back To Top    #14

I had the same problem last year .I have alot of trees by the pool and a lot of leaves on the mesh cover accumulate over the winter , I'm sure this is the cause .Next winter I'm going to rush the leaves off every 2 weeks .