Req: Pics of your installed automatic cover

Oct 4, 2016
Louisiana
We are planning on putting an automatic cover - likely Aquamatic - on our new pool build. I would like to have as realistic a sense as possible as to what this will look like when it is done. So many of the pics online are artfully shot from a short distance, they don't give a true sense of what equipment is exposed and visible.

So leading edges and guide rails - let me see the "worst" automatic covers have to offer!

I would also love to see some pics of the covers themselves after a few years. There has been a lot of discussion on this board about how the covers get dirty, with mixed reviews on the pros and cons of various covers. Again, I'd like to have a realistic idea of what this cover will look like in a few years.

TIA!

Welcome to TFP!!

Here is a link to our build thread and a few pictures of our Coverstar autocover. Please ignore the one artfully shot picture taken from a short distance (and with a large aperture). :cool: I don't have a picture after a few years, but the cover looks pretty much the same (I've cleaned it once and applied 303 Aerospace Protectant in the 3rd season). There is one stained area that doesn't come clean (at least not that easily). It is where the cover pump rests. Water pools a little around it and then causes a ring. No big deal though. I just make sure to place the pump in the same place each time.

This spring when opening, I found a rodent hole in the cover, near the leading bar in the edge, the size of softball but irregular. Sure glad he/she didn't go through multiple layers on the reel. I ordered a patch kit and it blends right in now. Now what to put down in the pit, moth balls, Irish Spring, dryer sheets or peppermint oil...or something else that will make me think I'm keeping the mice away but in reality who knows.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/53452-Pool-Build-Baltimore?p=525873&viewfull=1#post525873

Hey bmoreswim, sounds like you use a winter safety cover and leave your auto cover rolled up in the winter. We had a pool built this spring with an auto cover and also will be using a loop loc cover over the winter. I was concerned about rolling it up wet with the potential for mold damage and also mice nesting and doing damage. Have you had any mold issues? Any input on keeping the mice out? With the high cost of these auto covers I would be really upset to roll out a piece of moldy Swiss cheese in the spring. Lol

Yes, with an free-form, you are pretty much stuck with the surface rails. I was not wild about them, but they are very low profile in my case. In my case (coverstar), the cover/motor is underground, so that is nice. The grand kids learned quickly keep away from it. It does look much better for a rectangular pool installed like bmoreswim's installation. Here are some pics from mine. Note the ladder selections needed for the autocover.

Pic1s.jpg

Pic2s.jpg

Pic3s.jpg

Pic4s.jpg

Pic5s.jpg

Pic6s.jpg

Thank you both for the pics! Keep em coming!

bmoreswim - we will have something similar with a rectangular pool. This is really what I am after - how much we can conceal the cover. Frankly, I would like no sign of it whatsoever when retracted. But realistically, there will be some, so I want to know how much I am going to need to deal with seeing.

Here is our cover.
The details of the cover can be found if you follow the link in my signature.

It looks messy right now with the leaves and all. This is the first full season with the cover. So far no holes or issues. We do use looploc cover in the winter.

29845732934_5cafa2d9a6_c.jpg

We have our cover under stone. The stone is very heavy, I have a very hard time moving the stone, much more difficult to move then I thought. I've only had to move some stones once to adjust one of the support brackets. If you you want more views of the stone cover let me know.
Here the cover is under stones, from the current angle you see where the cover is.
21350736669_ff9b5fe2ff_c.jpg

Here is a closer view of the cover under the stones. The shade and lighting hide the view a bit in this angle.
27080158141_b4d372fe38_c.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.