HELP!.. Major water loss after closing. Yikes .. we've lost 3ft in a few days.

wmorge

Jun 1, 2013
Terre Haute, Indiana
HI everyone!... I haven't been on in a long while.. We had pump issues at the beginning of summer. Went a month without one. So I defeated the green monster again..with ease. and we were up and running!.
We had no abnormal water loss through the summer, nothing to indicate a leak. We closed labor day weekend, drained to just slightly above the return lines.
Blew the lines, and covered and all was fine. A few days ago everything was fine tonight I glanced out the back and shockingly noticed we had lost a good 3 feet of water.. the shallow end is nearly dry. There has got to be a major tear in the liner for us to have lost that much water in that short of time. UGH!!!! it's not too cold here in Indiana.. so guess we have to pull the cover off and see what's going on. We have no bottom drain, no light.. the water has gone way past the return lines .. so only cause would be a tear! My luck the tear is in the deep end.. It's a mystery for sure..we had no indication of it before covering the pool. I'm sick over it.

Thanks!

Sorry to hear about your problem. You closed the pool and lowered the water below the skimmer and slightly above the return lines. I am assuming you then covered the pool and water was at the same level. Now 3 days later your water level is at the shallow end. What cover do you have that you were able to notice this water loss?

The shallow end is 3' with most pools. Now if the original level was slightly above returns, did you loose an additional 3' or a total of 3'? If the leak was at the returns, then the water would have stopped there.

If not, and the leak went further down, please think back. Is it possible that someone, while closing the pool used any type of sharp object near the liner? Considering there is no water, if you look close enough, the tear may be found. If not, you may have to go back and fill pool up and track the loss daily to see where it stops. Sometimes you have to repeat your steps to figure out what happened. Can you take a picture of the pool?

There was no hose left in the pool. :p I've tried to up load a photo but it says it's to large . Its been 24 hours now and it looks to have stopped. The shallow end is empty .. It's been pouring rain all day... wish I had the thought to pull the cover off to fill it with rain water. Hopefully tomorrow the rain will pass and we can get in and see. Crossing fingers it can be patched.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.