Pump problem?

I just have to ask.. Does your pump "pick up" when in backwash waste or recirc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but the pump seems to behave the same when it's backwashing. I don't have a multiport so no recirc, just an old plunger style backwash valve.

Are you thinking that there might be a restriction in the filter?

210 F is way too hot for that motor. It really shouldn’t be over 150 F. Most likely, it’s about to burn out.

I would estimate that the motor is using about 850 watts more than it should. A lot of that could be from excess heat.

Based on the videos, the pump does not look or sound right. It seems to be running slower than it should, but I don’t know if that’s likely. Maybe if the power frequency was off or the centrifugal switch was stuck closed. But, I don’t know.

I think that based on the information available, that you’re probably going to need a new pump.

Hopefully, it will work and problem solved.

If not, here’s what I might try next.

1) Rig up vacuum gauge to see what that shows. If excessive vacuum, try using the old pump to suck out the suction lines. Maybe just hire someone for a service call to vacuum out the lines. Faster and easier.

2) Run each pump on a 2” line over the deck to see if the pumps run OK with a known good suction line.

Other than that, I’m not sure what else to check. Maybe line frequency, although I don’t know that that’s a likely problem.

Maybe check motor RPM, if feasible.

Also, note that we’re not 100% sure that there is a problem. You are getting pretty good flow/pressure. It’s just that it seems not to be generating the same pressure as before.

You could try restricting the flow at the returns to see what the maximum pressure is that the pump can generate. Don’t block all flow and don’t do it for more than a few seconds.

You could also try a new pressure gauge.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but the pump seems to behave the same when it's backwashing. I don't have a multiport so no recirc, just an old plunger style backwash valve.

Are you thinking that there might be a restriction in the filter?

Or anywhere past the impeller... I like to go for the low hanging fruit first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the pump/filter loses pressure so easily when there's anything in the basket. I've been gone for 2-3 day weekends and come back to skimmer and pump basket that are both pretty full of junk, and yet the pump/filter maintained pressure well over 20-22psi and there was plenty of flow. I never had enough crud in either basket to clog it up so bad that water couldn't flow, even after 3-4 days of being away. The behavior now is that even a small amount of junk in the basket makes the pressure drop fairly rapidly. If I let it go for 2-3 days now I could imagine I'd be down to 8 or 10psi pretty quickly. I have to clean both skimmer and pump baskets daily and 100%, can't leave even a trace of crud in there.

Is it possible that the small amount of debris in the pump basket is not causing the low pressure condition? Unless the debris is in the flow path, then it really isn't causing any blockage. Only the crud in the basket that blocks the inlet to the impeller will cause a dP. if leaves are sitting on the bottom of the basket, then it isn't impeding the water flow.
Perhaps just the act of shutting off the pump for 5 minutes or however long it takes you to clean the basket & replace the lid somehow resets things enough. Have you tried testing this scenario?
That +200F temp on the motor housing is definitely not good and a sign that something is wonky with the motor. It'll kill the life of the internal insulation on the motor and perhaps why you are seeing the cracking & checking on the power wire insulation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.