Question about Plumbing for Polaris Booster Pump

Oct 18, 2016
Long Valley, NJ
Hi.

New forum member and new pool owner here. Purchased a house with an 18-year-old inground pool. The inspector said the pool, vinyl liner, coping, deck, etc., are in great shape. The equipment is also in pretty good shape. However, the equipment pad and plumbing are a mess. Lots of old, UV-degraded flexible pipe, not enough unions, things not properly mounted, etc. I'm planning to re-plumb the whole thing in the spring.

Question about the Polaris booster pump...

Our booster pump pulls water from the filter return line (no heater) and outputs to an above ground hose (no wall connection). There is a valve between the pump output and the above ground hose. In order to turn the Polaris on, I have to turn the pump on and actuate the valve. If I leave the valve open, the Polaris runs at "low speed" because of the pressure in the return line.

I leave the Polaris in the pool as long as we're not swimming. As part of my spring upgrade, I want to get a new timer with two circuits so that I can put the Polaris on the timer, too.

My question is - how should I plumb the booster pump so that all I need to do is turn it on to run the Polaris? I'd like to eliminate the need to actuate the valve. I could leave it as is and just let the Polaris run at "low speed" all the time, but not sure if that's good for the Polaris, filter pump, etc. I don't want to get into automatic valves and control systems (yet). Is there any kind of configuration that will solve this issue? Maybe some kind of check valve setup?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.